Diver Dies in St. Lawrence River May 31, 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver Dies in St. Lawrence River | WWNY TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports for | Local News

Diver Dies in St. Lawrence River

MGN Online
State Police say a man died while diving in the St. Lawrence River near Rock Island Sunday. After recovering the body 60 feet below the surface, police say the death appears to be related to a "natural illness".
State Police say just before noon Sunday, their patrol boat in Alexandria Bay received a distress call from a commercial diving charter near the Rock Island Lighthouse.

A release says troopers were on scene in approximately five minutes and helped the diver who was once 60 feet below the surface and unresponsive. State Police preformed CPR and then took him to an ambulance in Fishers Landing. The diver was pronounced dead at River Hospital.
Police say the death appears related to a natural illness. There is no evidence of foul play or equipment failure. An autopsy is pending.
The diver was assisted by Dive Instructor Anouar Bennaid, of Quebec, who was also taken to University Hospital for observation due to decompression illness, and is expected to make a full recovery.
Troopers say the name of the diver will be released once family members are notified.

Very sad to hear. I hope they post more details about this story eventually.

Bob, from what I have heard , I believe it was the Vickery. Thoughts go out to the family. And thanks for the ones that responded to this!!

Never a good thing to hear. Hope to hear more to understand what happened.

I think I have crossed there a couple of times to dive the US side, as I remember leaving from the Canadian side, then clearing Immigration at a castle.
Wreck of the A. E. Vickery?
Yep...

The wreck was mentioned on these two versions: Diver dies after being pulled from St. Lawrence River near Alexandria Bay | syracuse.com

Watertown Daily Times | Local News, Sports, Features, and Community Information for Jefferson County, St. Lawrence County, and Lewis County in Northern New York.

State police identify diver who died after being pulled from St. Lawrence River | syracuse.com

State police identify diver who died after being pulled from St. Lawrence River

By Catie O'Toole
on June 01, 2015 at 2:56 PM, updated June 01, 2015 at 3:50 PM

ORLEANS, N.Y. -- State police have identified the diver who died Sunday afternoon as 49 year-old Francois Lacourse, from the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Lacourse, who had been diving on the A.E. Vickery Shipwreck with a commercial dive charter boat, was pulled 60 feet from the St. Lawrence River in Jefferson County shortly before noon Sunday, state police said.
An autopsy will be performed. However, Lacourse's death appears related to a natural illness, troopers have said.
"There is no evidence of foul play or equipment failure," state police said in the release Sunday.
The diver's instructor, Anouar Bennaid, also of Quebec, was taken to University Hospital in Syracuse for observation due to decompression illness, state police said. Bennaid is expected to make a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom