Diver dies off Miami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver dies: A man diving with friends in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Miami Dade County dies. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

A diver died Sunday afternoon when weather conditions soured and he tried to swim back to the boat, Miami-Dade Police said.

The 24-year-old, who was not identified, and two friends were diving near the Fowey Rock Lighthouse, about six miles off the shore of Key Biscayne in Miami-Dade County.

Weather conditions deteriorated about 2:15 p.m. Sunday and police said the trio returned to the boat. Only two of them made it, police said.

Emergency crews found him about an hour later. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The investigation by Miami-Dade Police homicide detective continues.

that sucks i live 5 miles from the site sad to hear the weather did in fact go to hell this afternoon

Thats tough to hear. I would like to know the details as to what happened and what safety equipment he was carrying.

I found that it wasn't a scuba diver but a free diver. I'll see if I can find the report again.

Either way it is sad. :(

------- Found it

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1231781.html

A 24-year-old diver died while exploring the waters off southeast Miami-Dade County, authorities said Sunday night.

The man and two other divers had gone out to explore the Brewster Reef while free-diving, which uses snorkels and masks instead of an air tank, said U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Sabrina Elgammal.

About 2 p.m., all three surfaced in the area of the Fowey Rock Lighthouse, which is some seven miles southeast of Key Biscayne. The weather was getting rough, and the men decided to swim back to their boat, according to Miami-Dade police.

Only two made it to the boat, authorities said, and called for help.

The missing diver was found not far away about an hour later, police said. Rescuers tried to administer CPR, but the man could not be revived.

The diver's name was not released Sunday. Miami-Dade homicide detectives were investigating, which is typical in such cases. No charges were filed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom