Diver Down Panama City / Mexico Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about lifeguard training? They still include breaths don't they? It's my understand to do those for drownings or for small children from the last time I checked respected web sites on the question.

What about lifeguard training? They still include breaths don't they? It's my understand to do those for drownings or for small children from the last time I checked respected web sites on the question.

Lifeguard training is going to follow whatever the nationally accredited agencies that teach the CPR class do. Such as Red Cross CPR.

They aren't going to make up their own standards for CPR.

Lifeguard training is going to follow whatever the nationally accredited agencies that teach the CPR class do. Such as Red Cross CPR.

They aren't going to make up their own standards for CPR.
Ok and what is their stand?

Ok and what is their stand?

Let me google that for you
google-smiley.gif

Change In CPR May Help More Bystanders Save Lives

The American Heart Association changed their guidelines on Oct. 18 from the ABC (Airway, Breathing, Compressions) to CAB (Compressions, Airway, Breathing) in the life-saving CPR technique.

The American Heart Association said the reason for this change is to improve bystander responses and to simplify CPR for rescuers.

The AHA stated this will help use CPR more efficiently because it allows rescuers to begin chest compressions right away. The conventional CPR started with opening the airway and giving mouth-to-mouth, the most difficult task for the rescuer, and also the most time-consuming. Doing the compressions first lessens this delay.

The new CPR guidelines hope to decrease these barriers to performing CPR by letting the rescuer start with the chest compressions first.

This change applies to adults, children, and infants, but excludes newborns.

The American Red Cross updated its website with these new guidelines, first stating they will train five million people and instructors by the end of 2011 in both the old and new CPR. However, they revised that statement and said the Red Cross has conducted an initial review of the recent changes to the ECCU 2010 guidelines for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. They do support the hands-only technique for bystanders, and the Red Cross believes full CPR with both chest compressions and rescue breaths is still best for many people. They do not plan to make any substantial changes to their courses as a result of these new guidelines. They will continue with a more thorough review of the guideline’s science and might make subtle changes in the future if needed.

Cody Ham, a certified instructor for American Red Cross at UCO, said, “American Red Cross still teaches conventional CPR and that’s who we’re certified through. There will be changes in the way we teach CPR once ARC changes their guidelines. That’s the only way we’d be changing our teaching methods.”

While the 2005 guidelines recommended chest compression-only CPR if the rescuer was unwilling or unable to provide ventilation, there was no recommendation provided for trained versus untrained rescuers.

Research now states that hands-only CPR is easier for a bystander to perform and the bystander will be more likely to because there is no longer the fear of getting infections from doing mouth-to-mouth, and survival rates are similar with either hands-only CPR or CPR with both compressions and breaths.

Ham said, “You can only do what is in your scope of training. If you’re not certified in CPR or you haven’t had recent certification, then there could be some liability issues there.”

Therefore, the new American Heart Association’s recommendations are:

If a bystander is not trained in CPR, he or she should provide hands-only CPR for an adult who suddenly collapses, or follow the directions of the EMS dispatcher.

All trained rescuers should, at a minimum, provide chest compressions for victims of sudden cardiac arrest.

If a trained lay rescuer is able, he/she should perform rescue breaths at a rate of 30:2. In all cases, the rescuer should continue CPR until an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) is available for use or EMS arrives and assumes care.

Ham said, “It basically comes down to this quote… ‘something is better than nothing.’”

AHA and ARC both recommends the ABC's for drownings, drug overdose and children (age 1-8).

The USLA and the ARC are still teaching the ABC's as are the health care providers. I dont think that is going to change unless some data changes.

"All" the major training agencies have not yet removed rescue breaths from their CPR training and as noted it is not likely to be removed in all situations.

The meeting of ILCOR to discuss the recommendation by some that rescue breaths be discontinued will be held in November. I expect there will be a lot of discussion.

Since the administtration of O@ has proven to be significantly valuable in diving accidents involving DCS and near drowning/drowning it is likely that it will continue to be recommended to use O2 and this would be useless without a delivery system. The lay persons delivery system for a non-breathing diver is rescue breaths.

I am very interested to see what comes of the ILCOR meeting and the application of it to CPR/First aid training in diving accidents by the training agencies that serve and train dive rescuers.

The material is already out for the ARC and AHA. I dont really see any changes from the ILCOR meeting since the material is already in print.

FSUgly - I'm a little confused about how her gear was removed. You stated in an earlier post that the DM removed her gear, but you also said her dive buddy said Paula was removing her own gear while on the anchor line. Do you know how much of her gear was off as you saw the DM bringing her to the surface? Or did you see the DM removing gear at the surface?

FSUgly - I'm a little confused about how her gear was removed. You stated in an earlier post that the DM removed her gear, but you also said her dive buddy said Paula was removing her own gear while on the anchor line. Do you know how much of her gear was off as you saw the DM bringing her to the surface? Or did you see the DM removing gear at the surface?

Sorry for the absence/late reply to this question. In my description of the day, I stated that according to her dive buddy she was "attempting to remove her gear." I do not know what gear exactly she was attempting to remove. When I saw the dive master go to her, he removed her from her BC. I do not recall seeing a mask/snorkel, so that may have been removed by her.

Thanks for the question. Hope my answer helps.

i heard it on the radio. was definitely sad to listen to. the coast guard did ask 3 times if anyone was certified in cpr and all 3 times the answer was no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom