Diver Drowned in Pompano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about a canoe or kayak?

presents some problems for diving, does it not?

Among others, the lack of backup or safety equipment due to lack of space.

Second, boarding a canoe or kayak is not trivial from the water. Yes, it can be done, but what do you do with your gear?

I know people do dive from both..... but not me!

Genesis once bubbled...

How the hell do you board in 3-4' seas?

No thanks....
LOL ... it can be a challange but we do it sometimes ... not by choice though .... only when weather kicks up unexpectedly. Three to fours in the Great lakes is no treat anytime in a small craft.

Getting back into an inflatable is the easier than you think. Even you could do it Karl.:wink:

I'm sure I can do it.

But considering all the things on a typical dive kit that could puncture the tubes, I'm not sure why I'd want to use that as a dive platform....

Genesis, you might think I'm a nut after this post, but I'll drive about anything on the water, and i I think I can dive or fish from it, I'll have my gear there with me.. Not that I'd take a canoe 5 miles off shore (well, unless it was one of those cool sail canoes) but then I'd be hesitant to dive from it.

I used to have no ladder on my 15' Thunderbird.. it had a low transom in the back and a wide spashwell, so it wasn't really a problem to board with the motor down. My 24' boat just had a small platform on back port side, and that one was a little more tricky, but doable none the less. Anything I didnt want to try and carry on I'd tie to a rope off the starboard stern clete which I would pull in after I was aboard.

CBulla once bubbled...
Genesis, you might think I'm a nut after this post, but I'll drive about anything on the water, and i I think I can dive or fish from it, I'll have my gear there with me.. Not that I'd take a canoe 5 miles off shore (well, unless it was one of those cool sail canoes) but then I'd be hesitant to dive from it.

I used to have no ladder on my 15' Thunderbird.. it had a low transom in the back and a wide spashwell, so it wasn't really a problem to board with the motor down. My 24' boat just had a small platform on back port side, and that one was a little more tricky, but doable none the less. Anything I didnt want to try and carry on I'd tie to a rope off the starboard stern clete which I would pull in after I was aboard.

Sad to hear about someone dying in such a preventable manner.

That being said. I guess I'll join you in the nut department. We frequently dive off a friend of mines 18' SeaOx (have done it 2-3' seas, not intentionally though) as well as my 19.5' Stealth Fish-n-Ski (calm water only). His boat is little easier to deal with since on calm seas you can get in with full kit, bad seas not a chance. You pile out of your gear (weight belt first mind you). My boat, the gear always comes off first:mean:.

Dive Safely

I have seen people diving off a 16 footer in protected bays or around islands in the near gulf.
One guy had built a drop down platform on the bow that was quite cool. when under way, he had it flipped up onto the bow.
When about to dive, he lowered it and it gave him a place to moor the anchor from as well providing him a lead line to the boat. He towed a buoy behind it, that way he could drag to the bow if needs be. I was thinking of copying his design, since it's cheap to get a setup like that made for near shore diving.
It was a really cool setup!

to being cheap, 99% of the time.

A "sport ladder" (armstrong-style) is not expensive. The bracket is all that's there when you're not using it. It floats if you drop it. It requires little storage space. And its sturdy enough to climb in doubles.

A "cheesy waterskiing ladder" is fine for single-tank dives, and its even CHEAPER.

There is an argument to be made with a boat that doesn't HAVE a solid transom area to mount such a thing on, but for most boats, this simply isn't true - you can easily mount a ladder on most "sport-size" boats.

Genesis once bubbled... (Kayak) presents some problems for diving, does it not?
Marvel and I dive from a tandem diveyak. It's awesome! I've even started going solo until her eye surgery lets her get back into the water. My guess is that Kayak divers are more experienced and better prepared than most.

I have been looking at a two person diveyak, since everywhere locally I want to dive (mostly springs and near shore) I can't get to without a boat. I also don't have the option at this point of a powered unit. :(
With Maneater getting certed, and this yak, we can hit King's Bay easilly, and aren't towing a trailer! Any thoughts on the yak?
(Definitely a next year investment BTW)
Both being new divers. Me @ two years cert but only a handful of dives THX to lack of dive buddies.
:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom