Diver fatality in Edmonds (7-30-05')

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleDip

Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone know the gal; who died, while scuba diving yesterday? Was she a Scubaboard member? Sheez, we had 5 water related fatalitys over the weekend, one was a diver. It rips my heart out when I hear of a diver getting hurt. Maybe its just me, but I cant stand even reading the threads in the Diver Accidents forum. With regards, K.Hamblen

I've been surfing the web and the news channels but nothing seems to come out.
The facts as of last night from King5:
Woman from Yakiama came out with friends to dive at the Edmonds U/W park, while swimming out to the park, the buddy looked back to see where She was. I understand the water has a large planton bloom and the shallows are murky. The Three divers couldn't find the Woman and called for help. A Helocopter hovered over the shallows and located the body. The Diver was experencied yet died in 10' of water.
Weather was in the 80's light wind from the north. There were many, many divers in the park yesterday. Thats all I know. King5 only had a 15 seconds tidbit. Bill

Just heard on the news this morning that a 44 year old lady diver passed away last night. I dive here alot and I know there are many here at SB that do also.

The reason for this post is to extend condolences to her friends and family.

The news reported that she was in the water WITHOUT her dive gear. That is all we know at this time. Seems unusual but perhaps not a diving accident.

I dove there this morning around 7:30am. The police were there and asked me to keep an eye out for her computer. The spot they found her was very close in, no more than 10ft of water. Tragic and like so many accidents unlikely we will ever know what happened.

DoubleDip:
Did anyone know the gal; who died, while scuba diving yesterday? Was she a Scubaboard member? Sheez, we had 5 water related fatalitys over the weekend, one was a diver. It rips my heart out when I hear of a diver getting hurt. Maybe its just me, but I cant stand even reading the threads in the Diver Accidents forum. With regards, K.Hamblen
According to the Yakima paper the victim was Kristen Spolar, and the cause of death was listed as "asphyxia due to saltwater drowning". There was no mention of whether she was using Nitrox or not.

jormax:
According to the Yakima paper the victim was Kristen Spolar, and the cause of death was listed as "asphyxia due to saltwater drowning". There was no mention of whether she was using Nitrox or not.
Nitrox wouldn't make any difference at Edmonds UWP ... you can't get more than 40 feet deep at any part of the park, and she was found in 10 feet of water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If someone gets a link to more info I'd appreciate it

thanks

found the whole shebang that explained everything...

A diver from Yakima dies in an accident at Edmonds' Brackett's Landing underwater park.

By Melissa Slager
Herald Writer

EDMONDS - A 44-year-old Yakima woman died Saturday in a scuba diving accident at Brackett's Landing underwater park, a popular diving spot.

It was the third drowning in three days in Snohomish County.

The woman had been in the water for more than 21/2 hours before she was found.

The woman, who was described as an experienced diver with no known medical problems, had been diving with three friends, who also are from out of the area.

They swam on the water's surface to a directional sign about 175 yards from shore just north of the Kingston ferry terminal, before going underwater with the intent of swimming northwest to a group of marker buoys.

The group was underwater for just a few minutes before the woman's friends noticed she was missing, Edmonds police Sgt. Mike Blackburn said.

They searched on their own for more than an hour before calling 911 at 5:41 p.m., Blackburn said.

"They did all they could," Blackburn said.

Rescuers from the Edmonds police and fire departments responded. Police dive team members searched the area from a boat on the surface before a Coast Guard helicopter was called at 6:22 p.m. to aid the search.

The helicopter arrived at about 6:50 p.m. and located the woman within five minutes in 10 feet of water less than 100 yards from shore.

Police divers found no apparent problems with the woman's scuba gear, which was to be delivered today to the University of Washington for further study.

The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office will conduct an autopsy.

The Snohomish County Dive Team and Seattle Harbor Patrol assisted in the search.

Ferry rider Lisa Sellers of Marysville watched the rescue efforts with her husband, Gerald, and their 2-month-old daughter.

"I wouldn't go swimming there now that I've seen someone pulled out of it. I think that's natural," Sellers said.

She said she was disappointed at the time it took to find the woman. "With a dive park in the city, you'd think they'd have people trained," she said.

Blackburn said the site is a complicated one for search and rescue efforts. Police divers did not go in the water because they had no firm idea of where to look for the woman and needed the assistance of the Coast Guard helicopter, he added.

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/05/07/31/100loc_drown001.cfm

another article (short, no details)
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/aplocal_story.asp?category=6420&slug=WA Wash Drownings

here's more:

Yakima woman drowns while scuba diving

EDMONDS, Wash. — A Yakima woman who disappeared while scuba diving with friends was found dead more than two hours later at a popular underwater park.

The 44-year-old victim was not identified. She was described as an experienced diver with no known medical problems.

Authorities said the woman and her two diving partners on Saturday swam about 175 yards from shore before diving below the surface just north of the Kingston ferry terminal at Brackett's Landing underwater park.

The group was underwater for just a few minutes before the woman's friends noticed she was missing, Edmonds police Sgt. Mike Blackburn said.

The divers searched for her for more than an hour before calling 911 at about 5:40 p.m. "They did all they could," Blackburn said.

A Coast Guard helicopter found the woman shortly before 7 p.m. in about 10 feet of water less than 100 yards from shore.

Police divers found no apparent problems with the woman's scuba gear, which was to be delivered to the University of Washington for further study.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002413586_webscuba31.html

---------------

Kristin Spolar, 44, of Yakima drowned Saturday while scuba diving with friends at Brackett's Landing underwater park in Edmonds.

Spolar, an experienced diver, was found 21/2 hours after friends noticed she was missing. They searched for more than an hour before calling 911. A helicopter spotted Spolar's body in 10 feet of water less than 100 yards from shore.

http://heraldnet.com/stories/05/08/02/100loc_briefly001.cfm

----------------

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom