Diver hit by powerboat off Boca Raton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to veer off from the topic, but it's closely related.

Can you believe the boat owner who drove over Rob Murphy in 2009 is now suing one of Rob's dive buddies and Spearboard.com for libel??!! This Roger Nicosia guy has some nerve. It's bad enough that an ER physician runs over a diver, leaves the scene of the accident without rendering medical aid, and the victim loses both legs.... :( Now, he's SUING people for expressing their opinions of how much of a scumbag he is! (Disclaimer: Mr. Nicosia, this is my opinion, so don't try to come after me next).

:soapbox:

This is from FWC's website:
All vessels must make a reasonable effort to stay at least 100 feet away from a divers-down flag within a river, inlet or channel.
In open waters, vessels must make a reasonable effort to stay 300 feet away from a divers-down flag.
Within those prescribed distances, a vessel may operate, but at idle speed.

It appears that it is not illegal to operate a boat within 300 feet of a divers down flag in open water. You just cant do it FAST!

This is from FWC's website:
All vessels must make a reasonable effort to stay at least 100 feet away from a divers-down flag within a river, inlet or channel.
In open waters, vessels must make a reasonable effort to stay 300 feet away from a divers-down flag.
Within those prescribed distances, a vessel may operate, but at idle speed.

It appears that it is not illegal to operate a boat within 300 feet of a divers down flag in open water. You just cant do it FAST!

It would have to be legal or otherwise only one boat per wreck or only a few boats at a time could be on French or Molasses reefs.

I have no issue with other boats on a dive site, provided they are observant, attentive, and just as importantly, idling :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom