Diver image. Do you even think about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver image? Looking cool before I get in the water? Hardly! At a certain age, I had developed enough self confidence not to worry about it.

I'm a portly grandma who has been diving since the 70's. Other than a (relatively speaking) newer backplate and wing to replace a harness and horse collar, my gear is vintage 1980 and well maintained. Nothing matches... But it is all chosen to work well.

What do I look like out of the water? Arthritis has me limping even without the gear on. In a wetsuit on land, I wouldn't be surprised to hear "beached whale"! Just let me in the water, though! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this one day as I saw some guys trying to get their gear on as beach on lookers giggled as one of them fell trying to walk backwards with the fins on and kept falling. He was probably a fairly new diver but he made himself look silly in front those with him as well as the on lookers.

I do think every sport or activity has with it an inherent degree of pride and style that goes with it. I believe some aren't really aware of that. For instance I like to surf. Style is everything when it comes to this sport. Surfers have learned to be mind full of their style as well what they wear and what board is used. If he looks like a kook he is probably a kook. Every thing is important from the way they paddle into the line up and catch the waves to how they perform on that wave. If they have a real goofy style they will easily lose respect in a crowd of surfers and will have to settle for surfing the scraps or just find a another spot to surf. This is just something that is natural to me since I have been used to seeing it for so long now.I'm sure there some who are skiers and they work their graceful style or are also some what fashion conscious.

I know we spend almost the entire time underwater but I think you take pride in your image. Example: How you carry your self, putting on your gear walking out to entry point. How is your gear is displayed is it all sloppy flopping all over the place,tank paint all peeling off, etc.. Or have you found ways to keeps it neater,streamlined and you look and act like you got it together.I am still learning to do this part but it is something I really want to do because I want that image versus the sloppy image.

I believe what gear we use is also important on the way it looks because it puts an image of oneself of how they are looked on. I particularly like the darker colored tanks, mask etc.. for myself because I like the tactical kind of look. Image in this activity is downplayed somewhat, but image is an important factor in the public eye. If we are all just slapping on gear with no real awareness on how the public views us, we are basically ignoring an important element in society.

Let me propose this question to you. Would you do anything to improve on your image?
Whether it is something that you do below or above the water to better your image, what would it be.

Is image even important to you.
Honesty is the best answer!

I follow the same line of thought as a Rat Rodder. Not a big believer in the concept that money buys skill.

If the brand/color of gear I dive bothers you, too bad.

If you think what gear I have isn't up to your standards, that is your problem, my gear works great for me.

So the answer to the question is, I don't think about it.:wink:

I would think there would be many that would not.

I would think there would be many that would not.

IMO, that is how it should be.

I originally had a different post at the ready but I don't want to get banned so I changed it up a bit.:D

---------- Post added March 18th, 2015 at 08:47 PM ----------

Right. And those sorts of non-product based influences are part of the whole "brand image" thing that people like to believe has no influence on their purchasing.

There's also some interesting research about the psychological reasons why brands that are lesser-known "in the world" become popular on social media. If anyone wants to start a real dust-up I can share that information in another thread... but I don't think it will go down well in some quarters.

:eyebrow:

I would be interesting in seeing it. It would probably surprise me, maybe not though.

I still have and use (as a back up) a Sherwood SR-1. Never an ounce of problems with it. In Scubaboard world I probably should be dead just because it is still in my gear bag.

Diver image? Looking cool before I get in the water? Hardly! At a certain age, I had developed enough self confidence not to worry about it.

I'm a portly grandma who has been diving since the 70's. Other than a (relatively speaking) newer backplate and wing to replace a harness and horse collar, my gear is vintage 1980 and well maintained. Nothing matches... But it is all chosen to work well.

What do I look like out of the water? Arthritis has me limping even without the gear on. In a wetsuit on land, I wouldn't be surprised to hear "beached whale"! Just let me in the water, though! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have to say that because of your age and what other circumstances you have been able to deal with in order to continue to dive sends an image of it own.

This is an image of a great spirit and adventure. Your image is a great one. One that would inspire one who is younger to emulate.

I guess it possible to have different types of images. Mine was focusing on probably a correlation between what gear you wear how you display it and how you carry yourself. My image is that of a sleek confident diver. Black colors on me give me together with all the gear neatly tucked around me portray an image that I can see in myself, it is self gratifying but it definitely not for everyone.

I'd be interested. I was an early adopter for both Oxycheq and DSS. In both cases, it was due to personal interaction with the owners. And my decision to stop using their brands were ... in both cases ... also due to personal interactions with the owners ...

The "brand" giveth... and the "brand" taketh away.

:shocked2:

I want to comport myself & choose/handle my gear in a manner that projects a competent, decent intermediate recreational diver. Not someone others would be scared to instabuddy with, and not someone putting on airs & creating expectations he can't live up to. Guess I want to look like I belong, not like I'm trying to lead.

Far as fashion goes, I'm far from GQ (nearly 46, 6'1" but near 275 lbs, fat, not 'in shape,' I'm not going to have much luck striking a pose or strutting), married so I'm not woman hunting, and I'm not a dive professional so I'm not fishing for students, either.

I don't pay much attention to non-divers, unless they speak to me at which point I may converse & perhaps promote the sport a bit. But not by trying to look cool, macho, sexy, a fashion template, etc... Save that for action movies & the wetsuit adds.

I do have personal taste in gear. I don't wear pink or anything that 'looks girly' (I'm a guy, not gay, no offense to anybody). I like basic black & other 'conservative' colors. Some dark red is okay. But not pastels, Hello Kitty decals, 'foo foo,' etc...

Richard.

I care about my image because I am on the path to a professional rating. I help in classes and open water dives. Students have more confidence in you and are more willing to listen to you if you look the part. I do wear gear sold by the shop because that's where I bought it.

Even outside of student contact, I'm concerned about how I present myself. But that is more because I respect my gear and don't want stuff flopping around or dragging on the ground.

I also have a gear fetish and constantly buy new things because I like the way they look. I never consider how others will perceive it when I decide to buy. But, if it doesn't function the way I would like, it gets sold and I get something else. But this really only applies to mask, snorkel, fins, or other accessories. I only buy one brand of BC and regulator because I consider it the best and my dive shop sells it.

Who said anything about "bother" or "up to standards" or "problems"?

Shakespeare.png

:D

I did qualify them with personal standards, which means your personal opinion has little value in this instance.. I am not a great diver but I believe I am a safe diver with descent skills. I would like to have the experience to improve my skills, I feel like those will come with time.

I confess I have what I consider to be good gear. YMMV:D

I care about my image because I am on the path to a professional rating. I help in classes and open water dives. Students have more confidence in you and are more willing to listen to you if you look the part. I do wear gear sold by the shop because that's where I bought it.

Even outside of student contact, I'm concerned about how I present myself. But that is more because I respect my gear and don't want stuff flopping around or dragging on the ground.

I also have a gear fetish and constantly buy new things because I like the way they look. I never consider how others will perceive it when I decide to buy. But, if it doesn't function the way I would like, it gets sold and I get something else. But this really only applies to mask, snorkel, fins, or other accessories. I only buy one brand of BC and regulator because I consider it the best and my dive shop sells it.
Do you want to look "cool"? Or do you want to look "sharp". Different concepts.

I overheard an interesting conversation on my last dive trip. Several divers were arguing about "the best" gear. The trip leader of that group (dive shop owner) interjected with "I can only speak about the gear I sell". He commented that it was good quality for the price. He was willing to stand behind it and risk his business on it. Very good gear. But he also said he had no first hand knowledge of some of the gear others were boasting about. He was happy to admit several things:
- there was gear that he had no first hand knowledge of
- he considered his gear good quality, more than adequate (but not necessarily the BEST ever)
- there might be other gear that was better

I found his attitude refreshing. I would not hesitate to seek his opinion on future gear selections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom