Diver image. Do you even think about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems the original post was focused on how the new guys looked when they were having a bit of trouble. Usually when we critique in public we forget where we were and how we looked when we started out. Most of us were in rental gear from the instructor with a loose octo and loud colors on wetsuits and bcds, and told to walk backwards while wearing fins on dry land.

On a situation like this, would it be better to show the new guy how to wade into the shallows without fins, and then have them put them on there? They learn a safer way to get to the water, you impart your looking cool while doing the sport to the new guys. Win-win situation there.

Or option B just watch from the sidelines and poke fun at them in a dive forum they probably won't see.

Henry James

It seems the original post was focused on how "cool" guys look.

there, fixed it for you.... others either poked fun at that or presented other "image" ideas that are slightly more important....

It seems the original post was focused on how the new guys looked when they were having a bit of trouble. Usually when we critique in public we forget where we were and how we looked when we started out. Most of us were in rental gear from the instructor with a loose octo and loud colors on wetsuits and bcds, and told to walk backwards while wearing fins on dry land.

On a situation like this, would it be better to show the new guy how to wade into the shallows without fins, and then have them put them on there? They learn a safer way to get to the water, you impart your looking cool while doing the sport to the new guys. Win-win situation there.

Or option B just watch from the sidelines and poke fun at them in a dive forum they probably won't see.

Henry James

Nobody was poking fun of him here and it was random people on the beach that were laughing. But, I would have agreed with you if it were other divers laughing. Unless they knew him.

Let me propose this question to you. Would you do anything to improve on your image?
Whether it is something that you do below or above the water to better your image, what would it be.

I would be happy if people respected me. I believe as a result that I try in some ways to gain respect. I suspect that this is not always effective.

Is image even important to you.
Honesty is the best answer!

I think image would be more important to me if I had a poor reputation. As it is, I'm able to write pretty much whatever I really think and I don't feel it reflects poorly upon me.

R..

I would be happy if people respected me. I believe as a result that I try in some ways to gain respect. I suspect that this is not always effective.

R..

Respect yourself. Do what you want.

That way you get to do what you want and at least one person respects you.

But, you may want to ignore this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many times as I've duck-walked around in my heavy wet gear, trying not to sneeze until I can grab a paper towel, I've thought "I don't do this because it is glamorous!"

But I don't mind the op's comments, I work with a lot of younger people and image and looks are very important to them at this stage of life - and that's okay.

I think I need to clear up a few misconceptions that some have interpreted incorrectly. There are some referring to improving your image means you want to look "cool". " WRONG"

I thought this thread would stir the pot a bit and I guess it did. I going to explain a few things so that you can follow along and it will confirm that we all have some type image we want to preserve.

First of most of us have color preferences. Choosing colors certain color to accent your gear is an image choice. It is your colors it is your creation of what you want to be seen as. Whether you think its just for you or you want the world to see it is still an image of you.

Second the way you set up your gear and display it or secure it also projects an image of how sharp or tidy you are in keeping your gear neatly in its place, or low profile. This could be another element to your image.

Third how one performs their tasks. Demonstrates to ones self and others how tasks can be performed while always remaining calm and under control of the situation.

The image I was referring to has more to do with looking and being sharp, than looking and being cool.

First of most of us have color preferences. Choosing colors certain color to accent your gear is an image choice. It is your colors it is your creation of what you want to be seen as. Whether you think its just for you or you want the world to see it is still an image of you.

I believe I see what you're saying, but for some of us, choosing, say, a mask with red highlights vs. blue, or yellow vs. black, is a matter of personal taste to appeal to one's self, given that we may at least consciously not believe either available color 'sends a different message' to others. For that matter, many of us would make much the same choices if we only dove alone, with no witnesses.

I think of image mainly in terms of the 'message' I project to others, however much or little I care about it.

Richard.

I care not a whit for what some Joe or Jane Q Public thinks of me kitting up. I don't look pretty in a tight rubber suit, 98% of divers don't. Diver's makeup? Great look, eh? Speedo jammers for comfort underneath that tight rubber suit? NICE!!! Waddle to the water carrying a **** ton of gear? Very elegant.

If you want image, this is not the sport for you. Stick to surfing or some other activity that has as active a fashion scene as it does an actual sport scene.

I do care what those I dive with think about how I acquit myself underwater. It helps me get better. That's all.

In Nor Cal, most non-divers will think we divers are weird. Carrying 150lb of stuff, cover ourselves up in thick neorprene and submerge into murky green water. It just doesn't make sense to them. We, divers counldn't care less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom