Diver Impact on reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish this were emphasized more in Open Water classes. I'm sure some of you super-instructors do talk about it. But from what I've seen out there, people aren't getting the message. The image I witnessed of a group of divers actually standing on shelf coral and snapping photos of each other is burned in my retina.

While diving in Belize last year the DM thought it would be a good idea to catch a nurse shark, flip it onto it's back placing it in a stupor, and invite the other divers to pet it. I was disgusted by this and even more so by the fact that divers did indeed pet it. Reading the Padi DiveMaster text it states clearly that a DM should act in a professional manner and respect nature acting as a role model. I will not be joining this dive shop again. I have video of this event, but doubt it is isolated....

Since when does GUE and other DIR organizations exist to dispense dive equipment philosophies? The equipment is not the point of their organizations. Safe diving practices to allow exploration diving at technical levels is their raison d'être.

Kelly,

There is something else we can do to protect the reefs, and that is to exert some pressure on dive operators to enforce conservation rules and good diving habits.

The problem is that dive operators are hesitant to really do anything about divers who break the rules - because "the customer is always right."

Though you may be diving in a protected area, where touching animals and touching the reef are prohibited, the dive operators will generally do nothing if they see their customers trying to ride turtles, or grabbing the reef to take photos.

We have to change this, by complaining very loudly and very vigorously to the owners when their dive masters do not enforce conservation measures amongst their customers.

I spent a week on a liveaboard dive boat in Asia last year. There was a large group of divers onboard who routinely and apparently intentionally disregarded all of the conservation rules. They grabbed and teased sea life, spent most of their time swimming right on top of the reef and kicking and breaking everything in their paths, grabbed the reef and coral for photos, collected specimens, etc. The dive masters said that these divers were regular customers and they would lose their jobs if they tried to enforce the rules.

This has got to stop. Are you with me? Let's get vocal!

Doc,

This was a guided dive, but the DM was out of sight, I had my hand on my tank banger when the diver in question stopped his turtle petting. I talked with the two DM's and they were upset, but as the customer I wonder what else I can do. In the new age of gopro we have 3-4 videos of these idiots, I wonder whether the cayman park people could get video complaints from divers. Fines to boats would undoubtedly make operators take this more seriously.

I felt as though I failed to confront these clowns, it's not my forte, and I spent the 30 minute boat ride trying to figure out what to say.

-Bill

A couple of weekend ago while scootering by a group of people snorkeling, I noticed they had surrounded a turtle and one guy kept grabbing it. I surfaced to let them know it was not right and there is a steep fine for harassing the turtles. It really pisses me off to see people that are totally ignorant to what they are doing. Usually the divers that I have seen in Maui respect the marine life. Newer divers often damage the reef due to poor buoyancy issues. I feel that is the single most damaging thing divers do to the reefs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I honestly think that GUE has as big an impact as a tiny organization can have, in protecting reefs. Not only are GUE divers trained to maintain buoyancy control (even under stress, or when working) and avoid contact with reefs, but GUE as an organization has enough of an interest in reef conservation that, not too long ago, they decided that every penny from their basic membership fee (or the first $39 of ANY membership level) would go to Project Baseline, which is an effort to document the current status of the underwater environment, so that we can truly know if things are changing, whether as a result of diver sunscreen or the huge sediment loads that come with the grading of a new golf course.

I do share your concern about the lights we use. I try never to direct an HID light at a single individual animal for very long, without covering the light with my fingers to diffuse and reduce the brightness. I don't like HID lights in MY face, and I have eyelids. I don't think octopuses like them, either.

Back
Top Bottom