Diver in California Sues for Being Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds to me like somebody looking to get rich quick, IMHO.

How can you prove that you got skin cancer from being left in the water for 5 hours?

Smells a little fishy to me...

I suspect the skin cancer was something the lawyer stuck in there.
He has good reason to sue without that.

yeah its probably some sleazy EMS chasing lawyer to looking to make a quick buck

I would like to know why, and how, he was left in the first place.

pipedope:
I suspect the skin cancer was something the lawyer stuck in there.
He has good reason to sue without that.
You cant sue for negligence about being left behind? The skin cancer thing is definately a red herring, but of course i have heard similar tag ons for little infractions before to make it seem like there were consequences beyond the obvious.

murphdivers286:
Mere details :wink:

murphdivers286:

Because he was a litigious jackass ? ? ?

simbrooks:
You cant sue for negligence about being left behind? The skin cancer thing is definately a red herring, but of course i have heard similar tag ons for little infractions before to make it seem like there were consequences beyond the obvious.

Mere details :wink:

Diving is implied risk but they might get around that with willful misconduct, if they can prove it, and disregard for basic dive rules. If it's just simple negligence he will not win.

pilot fish:
Diving is implied risk but they might get around that with willful misconduct, if they can prove it, and disregard for basic dive rules. If it's just simple negligence he will not win.
Admittedly i know very little about the law and legal terms, i think you know what i mean, the legal action should be due to being left behind and not being concious of a duty of care to this individual. As for possible reprocussions, i doubt any beyond a bit of hypothermia, salt water inhalation, dehydration and a bit of sunburn, but probably not skin cancer. At least he didnt have someone with him who wanted to feed him to the sharks :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom