Diver killed by fishing boat - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wanted to add I wasn't challenging the legitimacy of posting the thread on Scuba Board, just trying to highlight that we didn't know it to be someone on scuba, which matters when considering potential issues like narcosis, AGE, acute medical event at depth, etc...

Of course scuba divers, free divers, snorkelers & swimmers have something important in common; we all spend time at the surface, and nobody wants their hair parted by a boat keel!

Richard

Army Col. Paddleboard in with his daughter over a great snorkeling area. Sucks. RIP

"A mask and fins do not a diver make"

Long before diving migrated from SoCal to the hinterlands a number of event occurred that shaped the future of diving
1) the Laguna Beach Diving ordinance
I happened to be one who repeatedly met with city council to create an acceptable ordinance to allow diving with in the city of Laguna beach

We identified a "diver"
a) Scuba diver- one with a self contained breathing apparatus
b) Free diver (aka Snorkeler) one who wear fins, mask and snorkel

We Identified a Surfer
a) One who uses a surf board
b) One who uses a surf matt ( a body boarder)
c) One who uses a pair of fins for prolusion
d) One who does not use a pair of fins but relies on his natural ability

The victim was using a type of modern board and had on or on his board FMS so he was preparing to be a free diver.
Agree?

FYI
The dive flag was proposed in September 1957 via SDM
I was some what involved with the red & white dive flag design and acceptance

In 1962 a diver was struck and seriously injured at Catalina Island while displaying the diver flag. This was the very first time a diver was injured while displaying the new, untried, almost unknown red & white divers flag

I was called as an "Expert Witness" on the divers flag- It was an awesome responsibility--The future of the dive flag's acceptance rested on my expertise - We prevailed and the flag was recognized in a California court of law as the official flag of recreational diving.

In my travels over the years I have seen dive flags of all colors and shapes - It's official color is Red It official size is 5 units wide X 4 units high and 1 unit stripe

Displaying a divers flag does not make one immune to a accident, but displaying a divers flag offers recourse in a court of law as established so many years ago in SoCal.

However, based on what has been reported I suspect the victim will be consider as a swimmer, not a diver ...

Sam Miller

Last edited:
rt? Most of these threads are based on poorly reported news stories. I see no reward in classifying - only trying to learn from the tragedies. Yeah, yeah, some members take joy here in claiming accidents happen to swimmers so the stories don't belong here. Ok fine. I'll keep looking for the lessons to learn whatever the kangaroo counts decide here. Thanks for playing.

No kangaroo here, keep up the good work.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom