Diver Lost off Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you for your selfless effort. I know we would all want someone to come look for us if we were missing. I am truly impressed by the rapid response by all involved. Thank you again.

A couple of years ago, I attended a brief lecture by U.S. Navy and Coast Guard search and rescue units. One thing that stuck in my mind was the point they made about how difficult it is to spot a diver in the water. The gist of the lecture was that from a helicopter flying at high speed, the black wetsuit and white face and hands of a diver blend in with the water and whitecaps. Divers were encouraged to carry a safety sausage, wear bright colored fins that they could wave to signal the helicopter, and even carry a strobe in case they were in the water after dark. Divers equipped to signal an aircraft or rescue boat increase their chances of being spotted by 5 times or more. This represents a minimal investment that could provide a maximum return.

I know the search was called off, but has there been any other word?

I dove the Oriskany on Saturday, on the way in they told us what was going on. I wish the news was better. I figured the worst when I read on the Pensacola News Journal that the search was called off. The current was super strong on Saturday. Him and his family are in my prayers.

the Pensacola news journal stated the the search has been called off. since hurricane Gustav came through it is safe to assume the worse unfortunately.

a question for you SAR guys.

when a diver is lost in waters with fast currents, do they ever put a marker in the water that rides the currents and base the search around the drifting marker? i do not mean a SMB that will get affected by winds.

it always seems the searches are very random when the diver is very limited to how far they can swim against the currents.

dave

dtdiver....

By the time you put a marker in the water, the diver could be many miles away. searching around the marker would be worthless. A marker on the surface does not necessarily mean that it will follow the currents at 80-FSW, either.

Currents are usually relatively well documented as part of the weather observation monitoring program.

When I dive in the ocean now, I dive with a signaling mirror and strobes either clipped to me or in a pocket. A strobe can be seen easily for miles at nighttime. A mirror is an excellent locator during the daytime. If someone makes a pocket-sized ePirb, and I did enough ocean diving, I would consider that too.

FWIW, a signaling mirror has a hole in the center of it so that you can line it up with the sun as you try to send a reflection to a potential flying observer or distant water craft.

Dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom