Diver missing at Ginnie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put the "wrong" regulator on the "wrong" bottle.

- brett
If EU standards were followed, this would be impossible, as regs for deco are DIN-26 and regs for depth are DIN-25.

If EU standards were followed, this would be impossible, as regs for deco are DIN-26 and regs for depth are DIN-25.
Practically speaking, is there a country outside of France that cares to enforce said standard?

P
Practically speaking, is there a country outside of France that cares to enforce said standard?
That standard is like a checklist. It sounds good on paper, but you have to use it to make a difference.

P

That standard is like a checklist. It sounds good on paper, but you have to use it to make a difference.
Which was exactly my point...

Huh? You mean it was not originally invented for cave divers? Or do you mean what you said: there is no rule of thirds in cave diving?
I think he was referring to the fact that the "rule of thirds" was initially developed for fuel management, not for gas management.
I first heard about this rule when following the course for getting my first boat driving license, in 1978.
The instructor told me that on any boat equipped with an outboard engine there should be three identical full tanks: one for going, one for coming back, and one for safety.
It was 1978 and at the time there was nothing as formalised training for cave diving...

I think he was referring to the fact that the "rule of thirds" was initially developed for fuel management, not for gas management.
I first heard about this rule when following the course for getting my first boat driving license, in 1978.
The instructor told me that on any boat equipped with an outboard engine there should be three identical full tanks: one for going, one for coming back, and one for safety.
It was 1978 and at the time there was nothing as formalised training for cave diving...
In Sheck Exley's book, "Basic Cave diving, A Blueprint for Survival" (attached), published in 1979, on pages 11-12, he discusses the ""third rule," which he describes as "old." In fact, he says he developed it for cave diving in 1968. It appears as the #2 Recommendation for Safe Cafe Diving.

Attachments

• Blueprint-for-Survival.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 63

We don't use air for anything, so if we followed EU standards all but our trimix regs would be required to be M26.

Ginnie is primarily a nitrox cave, a vast majority being around 100ft (30m).

State park, Suwannee Parks, Jackson Parks, and other governmental actors wouldn't be hard to get the data from (assuming they keep it). I am not sure if Edd tells IUCRR about what he does up in Marianna, though I can ask Dene.

The real question would be if Ginnie or IUCRR will give numbers.

How are you going to collect the data on the number of cave dives per year that are conducted at a place like Little River?

There are a number of "off the beaten path" caves that aren't that hard to access and no one keeps records for who comes and goes from there.

How are you going to collect the data on the number of cave dives per year that are conducted at a place like Little River?

There are a number of "off the beaten path" caves that aren't that hard to access and no one keeps records for who comes and goes from there.

For Little River I would ask the parks department if they have an estimate. They typically have some usage numbers so they can justify grants.

At best it is going to be a rough estimate. As one person I don't exactly have a budget or time to get week long counts a few times a year to get a more exact estimate. As I would rather be under the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom