Diver missing at Ginnie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an FYI, it doesn't enlarge. Even tried to blow it up with PS and it just becomes pixels.
thanks, this is what he said

"Here's an idea. What if we start putting up "memorial" plaques al all the sites where people have died. It would have pictures of the deceased, and a brief description of how and why they died. At the bottom, we could end with "honor these people by learning from their deaths. please don't dive without sufficient training and preparation." It'll be sufficiently respectful to not piss off their families, but will tell a pretty chilling tale. Biut it's not really a memorial, it's more like those anti smoking ads with some guy with a tube out their throats.

Making it personal might get the message across better."

Fact: the least risky diving is not to dive at all! Lots of people find any diving unacceptably risky and don't engage into it. Thankfully, nobody gives said people a forum to advocate for a ban on diving for those who do it. Yet, we have to listen over and over again to GUE fanboys trying to impose their risk belief system and profiles onto the rest of the world! Your religion - your choice... just stop sullying Andrew's memory with it for God's sake!
bruh??????

thanks, this is what he said
Along those lines, I shared an article Andrew wrote about a dive on which he nearly died earlier in this thread. I think the final paragraph fits here.
I’m not proud of this dive, or of how close I came to a less auspicious outcome. But I’m willing to air my appalling performance in public in the hopes that each of you will reconsider just how well you will perform in an emergency, and how well you’ve planned for that emergency. Keep thinking, slow down, and allow yourself huge reserves of gas. This is particularly important on bigger dives, but equally important on even the shortest one. I hope that sharing this experience will change someone’s behavior enough to allow them to survive a dive that would otherwise have killed them.

As we discuss what may have occurred, I think that it is only right to make sure Andrew's view on people learning from accidents are clear. Here are his thoughts.
View attachment 717613
"

"

I sure hope those here who know members at the IUCRR pass along the deceased’s sentiment on sharing what happened. I can think of no bigger insult than to keep the facts secret.

Experienced cave divers from around the world have mastered the rudiments of gas management when using Diver Propulsion Vehicles—depth and distance being the limiting factors. A CCR is regarded as just another tool in the workshop of a competent technical diver. After reading the adverse circumstances which lead the deceased to write an in-depth analysis on a previous cave diving incident, I cannot comprehend why there weren’t protective covers fitted over the breathing hoses. Why he forgot to fully open his stage tanks before testing the regulator, and why was the stage tanks placed so far apart in the event of a catastrophic flood? Why hadn’t he checked his SPGs on his stages? Why had he even considered in wanting to retrieve his gap reels in an emergency? This particular cave dive was poorly planned and executed, with subsequent events intensifying the situation. Consummate cave divers are amply trained and experienced in the phenomenon of tunnel vision, vertigo, silt outs, halocline, and know how to counteract the effects. The blackout mask often used in substandard cave training is an inferior simulation at best. I’m not sure if the individual was wearing a helmet while using his DPV. Moving through a tight squeeze while diving solo is risky and the issue with diving solo is that your team skills begin to deteriorate over time. The G.U.E instructor, who certified him, isn’t subject to redress, or be exposed to recrimination since the individual was deemed to be an experienced cave diver. This would be quite different if the individual had less than 30-dives. The rule of thirds was never designated for cave divers; it was intended for boat owners using outboards. Complacency ends in tragedy.

The rule of thirds was never designated for cave divers; it was intended for boat owners using outboards.
Huh? You mean it was not originally invented for cave divers? Or do you mean what you said: there is no rule of thirds in cave diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom