Diver missing from Vandenberg Wreck in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, all the banter about fitness and hearts is great and certainly has it's place. But, back to original subject. Why have we never gotten more facts about how he disappeared? Who was he diving with, not just the boat and operator, and how did they get separated? What happened? Has he ever been found? The lack of information on this is just as disturbing to me as the number of deaths on the Vandy. I dove the Vandy the week before he disappeared with fair vis and steady but not outrageous current.

Why have we never gotten more facts about how he disappeared?
It's hard to ask him at this point.
I dove the Vandy the week before he disappeared with fair vis and steady but not outrageous current.
I've been on a number of wrecks that have varied greatly in their currents. I remember floating down to the Vandy without holding on the downline on one dive, and I can also remember questioning my sanity for jumping in the current was so phreakin' harsh. In fact, while I came up the right buoy, I found my boat on another one. A dufus got blown off the line and they had to go get him. In the interim, someone had already moored on their buoy. Easy enough to slide back a buoy, and I'm glad it wasn't my error.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

closed for clean up

We take this opportunity to remind everyone to refresh themselves on the Special Rules for posting in threads within the Accidents and Incidents subforum.

Thread is open for replies. Please remember the special rules for A&I. Cardiac events and Scooter discussions have been moved to appropriate forums.

Agreed. Lost Reef is who I was out there with also; solid boat and operation from everything I experienced/remember. It is another reason why I strongly believe in PLB’s though.
I second the use of PLB's. I have a healthy fear of and respect for current conditions. Call it stupid but I carry a PLB and a Marine locator beacon at the same time. Being adrift in mother ocean is not how I want to check out. I was actually surprised another outfit thought it was wise to dive that wreck on one occasion, because of the current on that particular day. Complacency and the prioritizing of profits over safety happens far too often in this industry.

I can delete posts all day folks, but it's boring, so I'll close this thread as it seems to have run it's course. I'll open it again if someone PMs me and has something to say about this accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom