Diver missing today? 03/28/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't imagine why it could be a problem. It is not a liquid and it is in no way flammable or caustic. I can't for the life of me see why TSA would have cause to question it. And if they did I would think you could explain to them what it is and why you carry it.

However, having said that, I have seen TSA make some bone-headed calls that left me scratching my head! :confused:

I am still trying to understand how TSA thought I might hijack the plane with my copper O ring pick, on my return from Coz last year.
confused.gif

The recent story of TSA confiscating a small tool from a group of US soldiers returning to the US from Afganastan, while not objecting to the unit carrying their M16's and squad machine guns (unloaded of course) as carry-on, because the tool was considered dangerous, still has me scratching my head.

Back to the discussion about which tools are most effective for being located at sea:

As I recall from my conversations during my recent Coz trip, with 5 of the folks who had the experience of being adrift for 5 1/2 hours after their boat sank, it was a small mirror more than any other safety tool they had with them, that got them located by the searching boats. Their story really gave me a lot to think about, because we all have the attitude that: "it won't happen to me", until it does.

I can't imagine why it could be a problem. It is not a liquid and it is in no way flammable or caustic. I can't for the life of me see why TSA would have cause to question it. And if they did I would think you could explain to them what it is and why you carry it.
Ah, but grasshopper, the problem is that you are approaching the question logically. :D

Do we have any updates on the search?

They sent a big dive team down where she originally got lost at but there was no luck. The Coast Guard & Navy are going to search until 10 am tomorrow before they officially call off the search. My step dad filled out a missing persons report today at the police station. After 10 am tomorrow it's left up to chance that the local people might run across her or her body.

Thanks for the update. This is a very tragic event. Hopefully she is found very soon!
Be well!

I work with the missing woman's mother. Here's what I have learned:

She only had about 10 dives since being certified. Don't know how she was certified at this point. She was diving with her husband, who had recently been certified. Again, don't know how he was certified, either. She signaled to her husband that she was headed to the surface. As instructed by the DM, he turned to signal the DM that they were going to the surface. When he turned back to her, she was gone. Unknown if she ever made it to the surface. Based on the fact that they haven't found her, it's not likely that she did.
Thanks for the info. I am sorry we don't have more for you.

I also agree with Brules that it's be nice if the hypothetical and safety discussion was done on the thread in Accidents forum rather than here, but - well...?

They sent a big dive team down where she originally got lost at but there was no luck. The Coast Guard & Navy are going to search until 10 am tomorrow before they officially call off the search. My step dad filled out a missing persons report today at the police station. After 10 am tomorrow it's left up to chance that the local people might run across her or her body.
It's good that they are making such an effort - doing all they can it sounds.

The recent story of TSA confiscating a small tool from a group of US soldiers returning to the US from Afganastan, while not objecting to the unit carrying their M16's and squad machine guns (unloaded of course) as carry-on, because the tool was considered dangerous, still has me scratching my head.
Since you brought it up, that was a hoax. Some people like to perpetuate them without confirming. See Snopes.

Sorry you are having to go through this remotely, I can only imagine what her husband is having to deal with down there. :( It may not count for much, but most of us who dive know it is an assumed risk, and it is a very dangerous sport no matter how safe it seems to be. She most likely knew this and still wanted to dive like the rest of us who are in love with the world under the water.

Praying for a miracle still!!!!!!!

Since you brought it up, that was a hoax. Some people like to perpetuate them without confirming. See Snopes.

While that story is in fact a hoax, I can tell you that when I came back from Iraq we did get searched, and had items we were told we could not take on, even though I was carrying my M249. Most of the stuff they were searching for was a customs search, but they did take our knives.

However, I do not want to derail this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom