Diver sues for being left behind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much as I hate litigation, I would certainly hope an abandoned diver could sue. I'm sure some dive operator is going to leave me at a remote dive site soon!

Why sue for monetary gain? Why not to help prevent this sort of thing from happening to others? The article mentions that this man is suing for skin cancer, you mean to tell me that the four hours he spent drifting in the ocean gave him that cancer ? It could'nt POSSIBLY be from his 44 years of living? Give me a break! I do understand his anger,fear while drifting alone,etc.However, I do not think that suing is always the right thing to do. Why do you think insurance, workers comp.ins and the like are so expensive?

You may have a legal right , but just because someone sues, doesn't mean it is the ethical thing to do.

I also don't think the case is a 4 million dollar case. But, heck, that's why I'm not a lawyer.

Why sue for monetary gain? Why not to help prevent this sort of thing from happening to others? The article mentions that this man is suing for skin cancer, you mean to tell me that the four hours he spent drifting in the ocean gave him that cancer ? It could'nt POSSIBLY be from his 44 years of living? Give me a break! I do understand his anger,fear while drifting alone,etc.However, I do not think that suing is always the right thing to do. Why do you think insurance, workers comp.ins and the like are so expensive?

Agree on the skin cancer issue. Punitive damages seem to be one way to prevent this kind of thing from happening... and that means monetary awards.

Agree on the skin cancer issue. Punitive damages seem to be one way to prevent this kind of thing from happening... and that means monetary awards.

I agree. Sometimes the only thing that works is hitting them where it hurts. That being said, I feel sometimes people and their lawyers get a little to crazy and need to be knocked down a level.
:coffee:

I personally would sue for them to pay for my dives everytime I came back to visit, except with a different dive company!

I personally would sue for them to pay for my dives everytime I came back to visit, except with a different dive company!

would be part of my trauma case!

i dont feel safe diving in SoCal anymore

where do you feel safe diving they ask

ummm - vanuatu or PNG or micronesia at least 4 times a year would be my response :D

would be part of my trauma case!

i dont feel safe diving in SoCal anymore

where do you feel safe diving they ask

ummm - vanuatu or PNG or micronesia at least 4 times a year would be my response :D

Also, they should have to pay for his "Drift Diving" specialty course. So, next time he's actually qualified to do a 4 hour drift dive.

Back
Top Bottom