Diver survives three days in ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sasquatch:
That's a point I completely missed: How did he get left behind? Therapy indeed!

Sea ya.

He didn't get left behind. According to reports in the papers his buddy aborted his dive with equalisation problems, he accompanied him to the surface and choose to go back down.

He didn't surface again anywhere where the boat could see him. During the search it was reported as a failure to surface.

Alison

We were certainly relieved when he was found. Navy diver training can't have hurt.
Surlyseas, when are you moving to Wellington? Not far from Wellington to the Lermontov...my favourite dive site

I hope a more in depth report will be issued with details of the equipment he had, current strengths etc included. There are deffinatly some lessons to be learnt here. It does not matter how experianced you are or how easy a dive may seem, things can still go wrong. and of course never give up. I wounder how big the cray was he caught. And as for him eating sea slugs I belive thats just a missinterpretation.

I think the story sounds funny. He was found 400 yards from land. He took off half his wetsuit in the water? What is the water temp there? How fat is the guy? He drifted 27 km and then returned to his starting place?

You think it sounds funny? I wounder how hard you would be laughing if you were in his situation. He took off half his wetsuit because he was delierious and thought he was at home. 75 hours without fluid will do that to you. The water temp was reported at 18- 19c. How fat is he? well he is probably a few kilos lights than he was this time last week. I have not seen any photos of him but his brother is a well built man ( and a good dancer:wink: ) And yes it was reported he drifted upto 27km and the tides/ currents / Tangaroa returned him to where it all first started.

Packhorse:
You think it sounds funny?

i think he means funny as in, it doesn't ring true.

you cant see that far while floating anyway... i doubt the guy's state of mind
by the time he drifted to within 400 yards of land was anywhere near
clear enough to think straight...

all in all, a very happy ending, and i'm drinking a beer for him tonight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom