Diver with Glasses

What do you wear underwater if you need glasses?

• Prescriptive Lenses

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • Contacts

Votes: 43 47.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

getting presciption lenses in my mask. Whats the price range for these?

I've had prescription lens in my mask for years with no problems. I also have a lot of astigmatism..........and yes, you can get contacts to correct it (Soft Toric Lens or Gas Permeable Lens are the best options IMO). My decision was based on the costs of replacing the contacts. It's a LOT cheaper to get the lens put in the mask than to replace the contacts (in my case). When I ordered my lens, I also had the color correction tint done. One thing about it, it's really easy to spot my mask on the dive boat. LOL :D Also, it does make a difference underwater. Even on the boat (while waiting to DIVE, DIVE, DIVE) the tint works to help cut down on the glare. HeHeHe, an added bonus.

Sorry, didn't mean to start up any promo for the tint. Got a little side-tracked for a minute.

I agree about the downside to that option, which was mentioned earlier. It's easier if I keep my mask on until I can get back to my glasses. Lasik is on my list of things I want, but just not possible at this time. Until then, I'm happy with the results I've had with the RX added to my mask. With them at least I can tell what I'm looking at and don't have to rely on a buddies hand signals to let me know there is an eel or lobster right in front of me, then wait to get the pictures back to see what I missed seeing at the time.

As for price, having my RX put in my mask was less than it cost for my glasses. And it was definitely worth the price!!!

I haven't had any type of problems as of yet so why change....

jbd once bubbled...
getting presciption lenses in my mask. Whats the price range for these?

I got my perscription about three months ago and it cost $150. or so. Then there is the cost of the mask. Well worth every penny. I guess I am lucky, I don't need my glasses for walking around on the boat, just for seeing details...

Used my new perscription for the first time last April. I had them put into the Mares X vision mask. It's great to beable to see the bars on my pressure guage and the smaller numbers on my computer and the little blenny looking out of his home.

Barracuda2

I have worn contacts for quite some time now, and I have quite a severe astigmatism myself. Contact technology (if you can call it that) has advanced quite a bit over the last few years, so for those of you who may not have been able to get contacts previously you may before.

For myself, I can't stand glasses. I find they are something that just collects all the water, mist, steam (perspiration) condensing on them which P%&*ES me off. Plus, you play football, hockey, or any other physical sport I find them the ultimate hindrance. This is the reason for my choice in 'eyewear'.

I also am lucky enough to find contacts that really fit to my eye well; so well that I can actually swim underwater with my eyes open. Of course, afterwards once they've collected all the chlorine it sucks.. ;-)

BTW, for those of you who say it is SO much more expensive to replace the contacts than the mask? What contacts are you using?

I use disposable contacts that can be worn day AND night (but I only wear them during the day), and I just keep the old pair and use those for diving, keeping the new pair for all other situations. This way, even if I did lose my contacts, they were meant to be thrown out anyways. Each month I cycle them - scuba pair gets chucked, everyday pair becomes scuba pair, bring in new pair for everyday. Even if I didn't do this, they are only about $30/month... and that is CDN!!!

i wear disposible contact lenses too there easy and I dont have to think about them half the time I forget I wearing them:)

that cost a forture since I am legally blind. LOL

I try to be very careful when diving to keep the water out of my mask, and I also have an instinctual reaction of keeping my eyes closed if my mask floods. (I know that's not necessarily the safest policy)

So far I've been okay and haven't lost a contact. My eyes do get sticky feeling after diving, but I carry some drops in my gear box that seem to help.

I've always worn contacts when swimming, sailing, diving, or any other outdoor action sports. I too am nearly legally blind (nearsighted) without anything and it's stoopid to go without being able to see 2 feet in front of you. My rationale is that daily disposable contacts are far cheaper to lose and replace than glasses. Typically I leave the glasses in the truck so that if worst came to worst and I lost both contacts and couldn't find my spare set (hey, it could happen) I can still drive to get myself home again.

I'm considering Lasik myself........ I just hope I won't lose my ability to focus on very close or tiny objects, like it happens while wearing contacts. (have to take them out to see up close)

Contacts, especially the soft ones, are a great solution if they'll work for you.

The combination of a wierd prescription and a LOOOONNNGGG allergy list just flat rules out contacts for me. I've used prescription masks for over 30 years now. I've also tried every "mount lenses in your mask" appliance/gimmick ever produced. None of those worked well enough for me to dive them twice.

Prescription masks come in 2 flavors.

Flavor one has the prescription ground in on the "air" side of the lens. If nearsighted this puts a concave dish on your side of the lens to catch every little bit of water in the mask. Of course if you are diving and looking down this water is exactly where you want to look through the mask. They're great for wall and rig diving though where you are mostly looking out, not down. The thimble full of water that is such a pain when looking down is also easy to defog the mask with in this type.

Flavor 2 has plano lenses bonded to the inside of your existing mask lens. The annular between the lens and the frame gives any mask leakage somewhere to go besides into you line of vision. OTOH to defog this mask takes almost a complete flooding of the mask.

Both cost about the same if your prescription allows it.

There is one other thing to remember. That is that the mask skirt will often wear out before the lenses do. Get a mask where you can change the lens/faceplate to a new skirt. Then buy several masks so you can use the skirts when the manufacturer discontinues the model! It's amost guarenteed you'll pay much less for the mask than any custom lenses. I didn't do that the first time and got bit hard. Second time I found a mask that fit I bought 12 masks and had one set of each flavor lenses made up. That was about 10 years ago. I still have 2 working masks, but no longer have the spares as they have all worn out or had the frame broken over the years. I started the search for a suitable replacement mask about 2 years ago. Still no luck for a perfedt one but I'm due to have new masks made this summer sometime.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom