Diver with Glasses

What do you wear underwater if you need glasses?

• Prescriptive Lenses

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • Contacts

Votes: 43 47.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very near-sighted. I only wear glasses when I drive, go to the movies or am at a sporting event. (your so vain) When I dive I have no correction, but can see really good underwater.

Yep that's how I was before I tried contacts underwater . . . only then did I notice the incredible difference! Try it!

Just got a set cut to order. LOVE them.

I used to have the off the shelf diopter. Worked well enough, but custom is GREAT. Only about $120. My glasses were more than that, and are not nearly as big.

Fred,

Great advice. I'll run out and get a few more masks. Any advice on storing them?

Dave

Always dove in contacts and carried a persricption mask. But now I wear those two week disposables so I take three pairs if I lose a set no biggie.Before these the others were more $$$.

Did I miss it in the thread?

Please tell me where to get prescription faceplates for masks....

Does it depend on the manufacturer?

Many thanks,

Sean

scubasean once bubbled...
Did I miss it in the thread?

Please tell me where to get prescription faceplates for masks....

Got mine from my LDS. I got a TUSA mask (2 lens) and they've a range of standard diopters to fit. I think most major mfg's have similar. Have been considering getting a backup. With the previous posts inmind, maybe another set of lenses and a couple of masks.

Lots of good ideas here, however, most are concerned with cost or convenience.

I am very near sighted. Couldn't find my way off a boat without some vision aid.

At first I dove with contacts, but quickly switched to perscription lenses. Flood a mask once and loose the contacts and it could mean your life.

Similarly, in a dive emergency, should you be rendered unconsious with contacts in your eyes, no one may find them for quite some time. Ever sleep with contacts in? Irritation at the least, perminant eye damage at the worst.

I cave and wreck dive. I will not take the risk of loosing a contact in either situation. Perscription masks are expensive, but no more so than a good pair of glasses. I have two pair of perscription masks. When I cave dive, I wear one and the other goes in my pouch. Many cavers without perscriptoin masks carry a spare as the loss of a mask could result in not finding ones way out. (Same reason we have resundant air systems as well as three lights.)

Yes, I have to wear my mask to exit the boat after removing my glasses or to walk from the truck to the cave, but it's worth it.

Why not wear contacts for the added convieniance and better vision? Carry a backup prescription mask if you need redundance.
Lloyd

They're cheap, and what I use for everyday life anyway. Luckily my short-sightedness is only moderate & I can find my way onto the boat without them so if I lose one or both in the water, no problem. Actually, even with a flooding mask, I have only ever lost one contact at a time, never both, so I'm still in a better position when I come out the water than I would be taking off a prescription mask

I admit, doing the mask clearing & swimming without the mask for the OW was fun - but luckily I was the only student and the instructor suggested I just keep my eyes shut and hold on to him as we swam ;D. If I lost my mask for real, sure, I'd keep my eyes open, the contacts aren't worth worrying about.

top tip for diving with contacts - even if you normally use weekly/fortnightly/monthly disposibles, invest in a couple of boxes of dailies just for diving. They'll last 30 dive days if you don't lose any - and the loss is smaller proportionally if you do. Particularly handy on a liveaboard or long trip - it cuts down on the weight of solutions, and feels more hygienic in tropical water which has a nice temperature for cultivating bacteria.

Finally, modern contacts, soft at least, can be worn for extended periods with minimal discomfort - even the ones not designed for sleeping in. If I'm ever unconscious long enough to worry that the contacts might have hurt or even irritated my eyes, frankly my contacts are the least of my worries.

Only problem with moderate short-sightedness and diving in contacts is losing one without realising it and spending several minutes trying to take out the contact now resting with the fishes... Ouch!;-0

kingprawn once bubbled...
Fred,

Great advice. I'll run out and get a few more masks. Any advice on storing them?

Dave

.50 cal ammo cans are sealed and UV proof. They are also quite cheap and hold about 6 masks at at time.

For really long term storage of neoprene skirted masks purge the can with dry nitrogen after sealing. takes installing a couple of schrader valves in the can lid. Store away from any source of hydrocarbon vapors. This is not needed with a silicone skirted mask.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom