diverite transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mverick nailed this one, Tom. The Transpac II is nothing more than a souped up soft-pac. It's used with Dive-Rite's wings, and weight system to make a complete system. Dive-Rite also sells traditional(steel or aluminum) backplates and harnesses for their wings. The beauty of the Dive-Rite System is that you can buy a Transpac II complete and then use the wing on a traditional system if you want to. If you'll notice Leisure Pro has either.
  • Transpac II (DIV2070)----$224.95
  • Rec Wings (DIV2074)------$219.95
  • SS Backplate (DIV2116)---$104.95
  • Deluxe Harness (DIV1080)------$41.95

They also have the aluminum backplate, all of Dive-Rite's wings, standard harness, and another harness that has quick release buckels on the shoulders. If you bought the above, you'd have 2 complete systems except you'd swap the wing back and forth. Or you could add the steel backplate and harness later if you wanted too. You can also use the Dive-Rite wings on other backplates and harnesses.

There seems to be a little confusion on what's needed to have a complete system with the Transpac... which is the harness and wings - no additional backplate or harness. The Transpac comes with two cam bands for mounting a single tank; just select which wings you want and you have a complete system. If you want weight integration you can add the pockets. If you want to mount doubles then you also need the stabilizer plates - *not* a backplate. The Transpac gets its rigidity from the tanks - a simple and elegant system.
My personal recommendation for diving single 80's with the Transpac is the Travel wing; for doubles either the Rec or Classic wing.
------------
Using Warhammer's last post as an example, you either get the Transpac II and Rec wings - $445 - or you get the backplate, harness & wings - $367. The Transpac will come with all the doodads (D-rings etc) that you'll need too: you'll have to add the ones you want to the backplate/harness.
-------------
One other point - all Dive-Rite gear purchased from Liesure Pro is "Gray market" and is *specifically excluded* from any warranty or service from Dive-Rite.
Have fun.
Rick

The Dive rite harness's for the backplates come with the do dads though. 4 d's and retainers. I have the DIR rigged one. I don't think LP carries it. They have the deluxe, standard, DIR, and deluxe with quick release. The DIR has a 2in crotch strap and no plastic buckles.
Oh, and they now have a new BC out. The Rec pack that is a more recreational BC.
OH, on grey market gear. I'm pretty sure that Dive Rite would be liable if they refused to service your gear. Since they built it. So they would have to honor any recall no matter where you bought it. They might say no now. But if it would happen I bet there lawyer would advise them otherwise. If God forbid you died while using there gear that had a manufacturing defect. I don't care who you bought it from. Even if you bought it used. They'd be in deep doo doo.... And if you sent it in for service and they refused to service it before this happened. You're family would OWN Dive Rite. I'm sure they know this too..... You might have to pay for the work on it but they'd have to fix it....

I think Dive-Rite's position vis-a-vis LP is that just because it's labeled Dive-Rite doesn't make it Dive-Rite. Genuine Dive-Rite gear can only be purchased from authorized Dive-Rite dealers, and LP isn't. Maybe LP's buying "seconds" that Dive-Rite has rejected - you never know, and LP ain't sayin'. For your liability scenario there'd have to be a paper trail back to Dive-Rite, not just a label that says Dive-Rite. You can't hold anyone liable for a counterfeit of their product no matter how much it looks like the real thing.
Personally, with the possible exception of a few accessories like Goodman handles, light holders etc, I wouldn't buy any Dive-Rite gear from LP.
Rick

It would be pretty easy in court to prove one bought from LP was built by Dive Rite. I doubt you would need that paper trail. Buy one from a "Authorized dealer" and run an Analysis of the Nylon, Bladder material, and Steel. If they match on a Gas test. It's gonna be hard to convince a jury that it wasn't made by Dive Rite. Also, LP could be forced into court to reveil there source. If it's an "Authorized Dealer" Or in some way it get's back to Dive Rite in any way, They're in deep do do. And I'm sure Dive Rite knows this. And if someone runs a Gas Test on it and brings in LP it's gonna be a huge case against Dive Rite. The only way they could keep themselves out of this scenario is to service faulty equipment. If there is any shadow of a doubt that it could be there's. They better fix it. They can write stuff all they want about not honoring warranty stuff but I'd bet the farm they are gonna cave on that statement. I'm sure they're lawyers have advised them of this. Lawyers talk alot but just because it's there belief doesn't mean that the judge and jury would see it there way. If you hold my BC up to a "Authorized Dealers" BC in a court of law. No jury would buy Dive Rite's bull. Also, Dive Rite has insurance to cover such a law suit. The Insurance company would be the one's who tell dive rite to put out a statement like this. But if a BC comes in that's questionable I doubt the insurance company would want to risk a Lawsuit on replacing a BC that probably only costs Dive Rite $100 to build.
This is from the warranty page on there site.

Please Note: Only products purchased from factory authorized Dive Rite dealers are eligible for warranty coverage. Items purchased from any source other than an authorized dealer are considered are considered used equipment and are not covered by warranty.

Make certain the "Dive Rite" products you buy are 100 percent genuine Dive Rite and covered under warranty • Purchase them only from an authorized Dive Rite dealer

Warning: Unauthorized Dealers May Cost You Money

Unfortunately, not every business that advertises itself as selling Dive Rite products is a legitimate Dive Rite dealer. Why is this important? If you purchase what you think are Dive Rite products from other than authorized dealers, there is no way we can guarantee:

• That the items you are spending your good money on have not been previously used…

• That something other than Dive Rite parts have been substituted for the original…

• That important serial number information has not been removed from the product in an effort to prevent us from tracking unauthorized product distribution…

• That what you are getting is evenly remotely a Dive Rite product! ("Bait and switch" is a common tactic among shady retailers.)

It's important you understand that, for these reasons, Dive Rite cannot provide warranty coverage for items purchased from other than authorized dealers. To help you avoid such purchases, we maintain a list of businesses we are aware of that are not authorized Dive Rite dealers, even though they may advertise our products.

Basicly they are saying they'll service it but not for free. They think of it as used gear. No where on there site do they say that they won't service it. Just that it's not covered by warranty. And if LP was buying seconds that Dive Rite had Rejected Dive Rite would still be liable. They are supposed to make sure they are destroyed. Since they are a device you're life depends on.
In the industries I've worked in. They are very picky about destroying things they could be liable for. Even if you pulled it out of the trash at there place and died using it. They'd still be in trouble.
And after saying all of this. I don't know anybody that has needed service on there BC within the Warranty period. If something is screwed up with it. You'll notice the first dive. Then just send it back to LP and they usually ship you a new one. I shipped mine back because it didn't fit. They shipped me a new one. No questions.

I can tell you right now that Lamar would fight it. He retains the services of a law firm and insurance company that are very aggressive with respect to this stuff by choice. Don't think for a minute that he/they will roll over if pushed.

I also know that they will honor warranty stuff pretty much no questions asked. If is not registered with them than it is a different story.

omar

NOT REAL. JUST A SCENARIO. DIVE RITE GEAR IS SOME OF THE BEST GEAR OUT THERE.........

21 year old college girl buy's a new Trans Pac 2 from LP. Takes it on vacation right after her classes and uses it on her trip. Bladder ruptures on first dive she looses control can't swim it up and the DM doesn't watch his group. She sinks to the bottom and dies. It is later found out that the Bladder of the wing had a flaw. So in the court room LP is brought in and they state to the judge where they purchased it from and it turns out to be a TRUE Dive Rite.
I'd like to see the lawyers fight there way out of that. It would also be the DM's ass but if it's out of the country I'm not sure how much they'd be sued for. Dive Rite has the bucks and Insurance. They'd be stuck.....

ONCE AGAIN NOT REAL. JUST A SCENARIO......

Now, same girl same scenario but she had a problem in class with the BC. Reported it to Dive Rite and they said it wouldn't be honored under warranty. Since the problem didn't seem that bad in the pool she uses it anyway. Same thing happens. In court it's once again proven to come from Dive Rite. Dive Rite is stuck again. Proved that the equipment they designed and built led to the death.
In this scenario Dive Rite made the choice to not honor the warranty. Since the BC was traced back to them through LP they'd be stuck DEEP......
When Dive Rite could have just put in a bladder that cost them around $10 now it's gonna cost Millions.....
Lamar would fight it. Lawyers will always fight it, they make more money. That insurance company is the one who has to pay. I'm not betting they would want to put themselves in that situation. No matter what anybody including the insurance company told me. Words and actions are usually different. They'll tell you one thing and do another. Even if they tell Lamar they'd fight it that doesn't mean the superiors at the Insurance company wouldn't override that decision. Insurance companies always lie.

Oh, and on the original question. It's a great BC. I love mine. Make sure and try a back inflate before you buy. It's a little different.
And don't try it at the dive shop and buy it online. If you try it there buy it there. If I give you info online and you buy it fine. But if you're in a class and I tell you about it. You should buy it at the shop. I'm not OK with paying a 100% mark up though. And a lot of Dive shops try to push you towards the gear they sell and have an overstock of. That pisses me off and is why alot of people end up buying online. Then I hear shop owners whine about people buying online. They try to get $900 for a reg I can buy for $350. Go figure I'd buy it online. My shop has even tried this with me. I didn't bite.

Thanks Rick,

I understand now. My hardest point is there is only ONE local LDS that carries a transpak and I can't get there easily. I wasn't going to buy one unless I knew what I was doing. I did get to try on a transpak but it was too big and it was the only one they had.

Thanks for the information and advice.

Tom

Love my TransPac II ,,,,,,,

I know you can get one with Rec wings and weight pockets for $500. If you can get one from LP for $430 and no tax, plus shipping and your concern is warranty. The Dive-Rite warranty is for 1 year. What's a one year warranty worth? Will the nylon webbing go bad in one year? Will my wings go bad in one year? If the wing is bad to start with LP should replace it.
I think you have covered worst case scenario.

good luck don O

I really like my Transpac II. I am a big guy & difficult to fit, and the Transpac II is the first truly comfortable setup I've used.

It took me a few trial dives and pool adjustment settings to get it to where I like it, and I ended up adding two 4 pound weights to the grommets in the back under the wings. This really made the balance perfect, and I only need 10 pounds of weight in the ditchable pockets.

Aloha,

Jonathan
kalepa@maui.net

Back
Top Bottom