• 48 to 57

Votes: 69 24.7%
  • 58 to 67

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Even older!

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the year I was born out of my profile, for good reason. I've received several snide remarks here on SB saying things along the lines of "You're only <xyz> years old, your opinion is worthless, how would you know?"...thus I've found that it's better to keep people guessing. :wink:

So, I've noted the lack of younger divers too (I'm 22, got certified at 21), but what I've REALLY noticed is the lack of women my age who dive. Almost every boat I want on in Mass would be me and a bunch of men 35-60 years old. In fact, I can honestly say that in MA, I never met a single female diver in her 20s...I heard of one, but for all I know she's imaginary since I never met her.

Since moving to CA, I've seen a few women, but mostly, again, above 35.

Are 20 something women cheaper than 20 something men? Or do we just not like the cold water in MA and CA? Any women from Hawaii or Florida want to chime in? :)

Another thought--I think the secret for younger diver success is really to buy the gear all at once. We've so little money that once we've invested it, the thought of wasting the money by quitting is unthinkable! Then we're hooked for life :)

16, certified for 4 years

Not a lot of young people can afford the sport. Has a very high initial cost for the training/equipment... I think I shelled out around 3-4 grand before it was all said and done. I went all out though with the philosephy of buying once is cheaper than deciding to get something better later on and buying twice, so I have great gear that should last years. Only problem now is... I want to work towards more advanced certs which I'm sure will require some different/more expensive gear... then there's always the ever expensive drysuit...

Lets face it though, most college aged kids simply can't afford it. Takes a few or more years in the "real world" earning some bread and establishing yourself before you can take up an expensive hobby.

also, i agree with akscuba. gotta buy it all at once otherwise you'll feel to broke to finish off your set. 22 here also.

plot:
Lets face it though, most college aged kids simply can't afford it. Takes a few or more years in the "real world" earning some bread and establishing yourself before you can take up an expensive hobby.

As someone who was recently a college aged kid, I have to disagree. Sure, we can't *really* afford it, but college kids waste a LOT of money on dumb things that they could put towards diving instead if they wanted to. Also, and most importantly, in college-you aren't worrying about a house or kids. If you wait a few years to start diving, then yes you have more money, but you also have the guilt of feeling like you should be putting money into a savings account or a mortgage, or even preschool and nanny costs.

And to start scuba diving with decent gear isn't too bad....Of course, I followed your philosophy and got the good stuff and now I'm totally broke, *sigh*

akscuba....are you out there to dive or pick up chics? lol. There are plenty of hotties your age at the club. Meanwhile, you can probably learn alot from those 35 - 60 yr old men/women. :D

Currently 35, certified at 33. Glad I bought all (both sets) of my gear before purchasing our home, as I can barely afford a new mask now.

Phil

akscuba:
As someone who was recently a college aged kid, I have to disagree. Sure, we can't *really* afford it, but college kids waste a LOT of money on dumb things that they could put towards diving instead if they wanted to. Also, and most importantly, in college-you aren't worrying about a house or kids. If you wait a few years to start diving, then yes you have more money, but you also have the guilt of feeling like you should be putting money into a savings account or a mortgage, or even preschool and nanny costs.

And to start scuba diving with decent gear isn't too bad....Of course, I followed your philosophy and got the good stuff and now I'm totally broke, *sigh*

I waited until a year after I graduated to take up scuba diving. At least then I was working 40 hours a week and outside of owing a ton in student loans, am making decent enough money... exspecially for a single guy with no kids and few bills to pay. Even if scuba does put me in the poor house, it's something I'll never regret. :)

Divmstr223:
akscuba....are you out there to dive or pick up chics? lol. There are plenty of hotties your age at the club. Meanwhile, you can probably learn alot from those 35 - 60 yr old men/women. :D

True. But wouldn't doing both be better!

Divmstr223:

Haha! To dive. And I FULLY agree I can learn a lot from both older and more experienced divers (and those who are both older and more experienced).

But....it would be nice to have other women around my age around...and I think it's really weird that I never saw *any* in MA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom