Diver's body with more than 50kg of cocaine found on Newcastle port riverbank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's really quite a tragedy. So sad to hear of such a loss.

50kg of cocaine.....
Guess he found himself up a creek without a paddle.

Unfortunate human loss though. Besides family being understandably broken hearted, someone else is going to be pissed right off though!

He couldn't just bring it ashore in a backpack?
Police are reported as investigating if the drugs were attached to the outside of the ship, which make sense, given the circumstances. Would this be classified as a rebreather death?

I would like to know what rebreather he was using, at what depth, if wearing a computer, and was the dive recorded on the said computer, dive profile, etc?
Attached to the outside of the ship, how, was it dropped to the bottom, depth there?
So many questions.

100 kg of coke now found. Said to be an "overseas professional diver".
That's 220 lbs !! Even underwater and shallow,,, moving that around is going to take a big lift bag and many back and forth trips. That's alot of "Work of Breathing" on an RB and his red/green PO2 lights would have been screaming.

Police are reported as investigating if the drugs were attached to the outside of the ship, which make sense, given the circumstances. Would this be classified as a rebreather death?
Well, he was using a 'breather wasnt he? So yes, why not(?), even if he had snorted half a pound before setting out on his little mis-adventure.

I've heard about smugglers attaching parasite loads to cargo ships before. K-cylinders full of contraband, strong magnets, stuck to the hull of cargo ships. I wonder if this was something similar?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom