Divers death from Edmond, OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STEVE.H20

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
An Oklahoma City radio station reported yesterday (12-23-08) that a man from Edmond died while diving. I believe I heard this occured in the Cayman's? The report said the man died while scuba diving and was towed to shore by his buddy. This is very raw information at this time, location of accident may be wrong... Does anyone have any information on this incident? TTA.

A quick google found this: Mobile Breaking Oklahoma News | NewsOK.com

A 57-year-old Edmond tourist died while scuba diving in the Cayman Islands, authorities said. David Guy Stuart was on a weekend dive with a friend off Grand Cayman when he began struggling in the water, police spokeswoman Deborah Denis said. Stuart was brought to shore and rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Denis said. Foul play is not suspected. Police are investigating whether Stuart’s death might be related to decompression illness, which can result from ascending too rapidly.

And this from the Cayman Net News:

According to the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service (RCIPS), David Guy Stuart, 57, from Oklahoma in the US, encountered difficulties while diving and was brought to shore unconscious. He was pronounced dead later at the hospital.

Mr Stuart was visiting the Cayman Islands as part of a cruise. He and a friend rented oxygen tanks from Divers Down. During the dive the victim lost consciousness for unknown reasons.

The 911 emergency communications centre received a call at around 10:55 am from a staff member of Divers Down who reported Mr Stuart was unconscious after being brought to the West Bay Dock. His dive buddy proceeded to administer CPR but failed to revive him.

Rick, thank you for the information. I am sure it will take some time to sort out the cause. I will post any information if and when it becomes available.

Patty,

Thank you for posting the update.

And this from the Cayman Net News:

He and a friend rented oxygen tanks from Divers Down.

Cayman Frigging Net News should know frigging better. Apologies to the family.

Cayman Frigging Net News should know frigging better. Apologies to the family.

Excuse my Ignorance to diving, but what should the Cayman Net News have done differently.

And to let you know where I am coming from, I am David Stuart's (the deceased diver) oldest son.

Excuse my Ignorance to diving, but what should the Cayman Net News have done differently.

And to let you know where I am coming from, I am David Stuart's (the deceased diver) oldest son.

Recreational divers are generally not using OXYGEN tanks. His reference is that a news source in a popular diving destination should know better than to say oxygen. Divers use air or nitrox (a mixture of air with higher percentages of oxygen). Pure oxygen is used by technical divers to aid in decompression and can cause toxicity issues below 20'.

David, condolences on the loss of your father. I know how tough that can be. I'm sure if you have any questions related to diving information, many here would be glad to help you with the answers.

Back
Top Bottom