Divers find gold bars, coins in Fla. Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer

Contributor
Reaction score
In a car underwater with time to kill....
# of dives
50 - 99
Associated Press (Florida Today)

KEY WEST, Fla. - Divers returned to port Monday with two gold bars and 15 silver coins they unearthed, which had been buried beneath the ocean floor for almost 400 years.

The objects are believed to be from the shipwreck of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha, a Spanish galleon that sank off Key West in 1622.

The bars were discovered Sunday by the divers from Mel Fisher's Treasure Salvors on the treasure-hunting ship the Magruder about 35 miles off of Key West. They were found beneath about 12 feet of sand in 20 feet of water.

The first bar found weighed one pound and measured about 7 inches long, while the second weighed two pounds and was 7.25 inches long.

Kim Fisher, the president of the Fisher company, estimated the value of the find to be about $250,000.

I wonder how much they get to keep, or if all of it has to be turned over to the government, and what their methods were in finding and extracting their what they found. I'm reading, "Submerged" by Daniel Lenihan, and he takes a very dim view of treasure hunters and salvors. Either way, yeah... A diver's dream! :)

The state of Florida I think tried to claim the treasure from the wreck after Fisher found it initally many years ago.. He won it in a court battle. So they get to keep all of it. I have no clue how it is taxed though.

mike_s:
The state of Florida I think tried to claim the treasure from the wreck after Fisher found it initally many years ago.. He won it in a court battle. So they get to keep all of it. I have no clue how it is taxed though.

Cool. I don't support some of the stuff that I've heard, of outfits blowing holes in the sides of wrecks and destructive stuff like that, but I do think divers should get to keep what they've found. As for taxation, maybe they tax against the estimated value of the find?

I absolutely despise the fact that no one give a hoot about this stuff till someone else comes along and puts in the time and sweat to find it, then everyone wants a piece.

PhotoTJ:
I absolutely despise the fact that no one give a hoot about this stuff till someone else comes along and puts in the time and sweat to find it, then everyone wants a piece.

Well, that's not necessarily true. I'm reading "Submerged," by Daniel Lenihan. It's about underwater archeologists. Very cool book, and he has quite a lot to say about artifacts and what some salvagers have done in the name of finding artifacts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom