Divers find gold bars, coins in Fla. Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a gold plated watch once, it didn't work, and part of it was turning green. Actually,, I suspect somone threw the piece of crap off the boat. I stopped into Fisher's store in Key West a fiew weeks ago and spoke with a very nice lady there. She was very informative, and we enjoyed learning from her. Unfortunately,, she also let my wife try on some jewelry from the wreck, which had a heart stopping price on them!!! I nearly had to threaten my wife with a crowbar to get her to take them off!

mike_s:
The state of Florida I think tried to claim the treasure from the wreck after Fisher found it initally many years ago.. He won it in a court battle. So they get to keep all of it. I have no clue how it is taxed though.
I'm not sure on that. I thought there was some sort of settlement reached where it was split on a percentage base with about 80% of the value after expenses going to the state.

Fish_Whisperer:
Well, that's not necessarily true. I'm reading "Submerged," by Daniel Lenihan. It's about underwater archeologists. Very cool book, and he has quite a lot to say about artifacts and what some salvagers have done in the name of finding artifacts.
Mel Fisher was famous for using mailboxes to blow big holes in the sand - something that is frowned upon by both environmentalists for the damage it does and by archeologists for the damage it does to the context in which an artifact is found - without a clear relationship to the context of the site, the archeological value of the artifact greatly reduced.

I think we should enjoy it while we can...the Feds (NOAA) are trying to put everything in the ocean off limits to divers, regardless if NOAA ever gets around to investigating it. Do a Google of the Stillwaters Bank deal. They don't even want us close to it. I understand in part their concerns, however, most of the NOAA observers that are sent out, don't dive. I sat through a presentation by Gary Gentile on the USS Monitor, and listened to him vilify the observer that he had. They were not allowed within 6ft and they were doing all the photographic survey on the wreck.

Just like PhotoTJ said, it would rot in the sea, until someone finds it, then the gov't wants to lay claim on everything, even though they did not spend a penny on the effort. GGGGRRRR!!!!

DA Aquamaster:
I'm not sure on that. I thought there was some sort of settlement reached where it was split on a percentage base with about 80% of the value after expenses going to the state.

I don't know for sure... I just remember that no one cared about him until he found the gold, then they all cared about him and wanted part of it. State, US Dept of Interior, etc... It finally was decided in Mel's favor by the US Supreme Court.

Interestingly enough, since they didn't win there, the federal government charged him with "damaging sea grass

Mel Fisher was famous for using mailboxes to blow big holes in the sand - something that is frowned upon by both environmentalists for the damage it does and by archeologists for the damage it does to the context in which an artifact is found - without a clear relationship to the context of the site, the archeological value of the artifact greatly reduced.

There have been a bunch of "interesting people in the diving industry over the years...

Diving practices were not as controlled then as they are today. People did pretty much whatever they wanted. Dropped anchor where-ever they wanted. Using dynamite was not uncommon to recover something.

Heck, even was even said that Jacques Coustea used dynamite to blow the reef open to the Blue Hole in Belize so he could motor the Calypso into it for better access. I bet now days you wouldn't see that happening.

As for Mel Fisher, he's no angel either.he pleaded "no contest" in 1999 for selling " fraudulent Spanish coins ". Though he pleaded guilty, the company stated they got the coins from a dealer that mislead them.

Been to his (Mels) Museum many times and at the end of the tour they are selling tones of artifacts that's where i became unimpressed. If you want to recover artifacts and open a Museum then all the artifacts should be preserved none should make it to the open market. Almost every shop (even trinket shops) in Key West are selling what they claim to be Authentic Mel Fisher coins.

I am however impressed with the Whydah Pirate Museum on Cape Cod none of these artifacts have ever made it to the open market. If you cant make it to Cape Cod i do believe they will soon be traveling city to city displaying artifacts. Its a must see

The artifacts have inherent value beyond the price of gold because they're from the Atocha :wink:

Rachel

I have to admire these treasure hunters. They risk an enormous amount of capital for a slim chance of any gain....the corrupt goverment ignores all the historical value of artifact recovery, letting entrepreneurs assume all the risk, then if ones risk pays off, then amazingly the corrupt goverment all of a sudden has an interest in stealing from citizen entrepreneurs.

The government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

My understanding of the way the "division" works, is the State of Florida works just like King Phillip of Spain a-long-time-ago. FL takes its "Royal 5th" or 20%. The rest belongs to the Fisher's who have certainly earned every Royale in work, sweat, and yes "blood". The Fisher's then have a division party for all the investors in Key West which is quite a Do! You too can become an investor and dive with them. I was offered in 1974 when I was young and immortal, but was too busy trying to look too proper for the world of wife, kids and soccer. Dumb me. But I do have a few 8 Reale pieces and my (now-current) wife scours the beaches for the odd piece with her Minelab Excalibur 1000. "Frogfoot" Weller teaches a class on treasure hunting for the 1715 Fleet. If you get a chance, go to one of the Fisher's great museums. No, I don't work for them. Have just followed it since I was a pup.

By the way PhotoTJ - love the Romer Treece quote. We must "have a jar" someday. There's always a bottle of Goslings in my house!

Back
Top Bottom