Divers left behind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemonade

Reaction score
Time to time you hear stories about divers being left behind on a site. Some of them have a happy ending and are sort of amusing, others, on the contrary, are sad or even tragic. Anyhow, most of the time when I heard those, they were just repetition of same one or two occurrences, enhanced by the teller’s imagination, and sounding more and more like those urban legends. So I was left with impression that such incidents were extremely rare and are not something that I would witness or experience…

About a month ago it was another wonderful day on a live-aboard in Andaman Sea, we just completed our third dive and were drifting near a site, which, if I remember correctly, was still in Thai waters, while we were heading to Burma. There were twelve divers on our boat, all from the US, and everybody was just doing normal surface interval stuff – enjoying wonderful Thai cuisine, sharing stories, filling logs, messing with the cameras… Two-three other boats were around, coming and going, but we had planned to stay here for the rest of the day and do two more dives.

The routine was interrupted by a pair of divers who just came up, were shouting something in German and trying to make their way to our boat, apparently, the only boat they were seeing. After looking around we realized, there were no other boats! The couple was left behind.

Their boat was back half an hour later after we radioed them.

Now I am wondering how often things like that really happen. Please share your thought and experience regarding this.

I was left behind on a wreck a few weeks ago. I am now floating some where in the middle of the Atlantic. All I have to say is thank god for weather proof cell phones, Solar Cel Rechargers, and wireless internet.

it happens all too often. The bad part is that its easily avoidable. Its caused, almost every time, by crews doing head counts instead of roll calls.

WW

It's happened often enough that DAN came out with their own accounting system a while back. There isn't any excuse for a boat to leave divers behind. I would urge all divers to do adequate research on charters before you go out with them. Do you know what emergency equipment/skills, captain/crew credentials. recall procedures are on the boat your diving on?

lucid once bubbled...
I was left behind on a wreck a few weeks ago. I am now floating some where in the middle of the Atlantic. All I have to say is thank god for weather proof cell phones, Solar Cel Rechargers, and wireless internet.

LMAO :D

Hope for you you don't drift towards france ! :wink: :D

here in this area last summer.

I won't name alleged names, since I don't have PERSONAL knowledge of whether or not they are true or what the circumstances were.

However, I have WITNESSED people come up on the wrong anchor line - MINE! Separated by a couple hundred YARDS too. I pointed out that the boat they were interested in boarding was "over there", and they set off on what was to be a nice surface swim....

Last summer at one point I watch two divers from a local cattle boat come up on a fisherman's anchor line who was a good 300' from the dive boat's line - I later found out that they cut the fisherman's lines before ascending as well.

Nice eh?

lucid once bubbled...
ROTFLMAO!

Technology is great, aint it? :D

Genesis once bubbled...
Last summer at one point I watch two divers from a local cattle boat come up on a fisherman's anchor line who was a good 300' from the dive boat's line - I later found out that they cut the fisherman's lines before ascending as well.

Nice eh?

That's not cool, I hope someone beat the cr@p out of them :D =-) :D

Amanda once bubbled...

I'd be more worried about the French... :)

R..

Amanda once bubbled...

Don't worry if you drift toward France. Just shoot off a signal flare, they'll surrender.

Back
Top Bottom