Divers Missing - Florida west coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The article said when he was found his BCD was inflated helping keep him afloat. They also said the rescue boat saw his orange float-I assume an SMB.
The article didn’t mention if he dropped his weights.

I might start carrying my Halcyon Liferaft with me. At least if I'm lost at sea I can be comfy.

Speaking of PLB's, my two are way old and it's gonna be cheaper to buy a new one than pay for any more battery replacements. What's everyone buying these days? @DandyDon you keep up with the latest and greatest yeah? What's new and exciting in the world of PLB's?

FWIW I've got an ACR ResQLink and an old McMurdo FastFind.

I've got an ACR ResQLink and an old McMurdo FastFind.
Which models?

I like my ACR 2881. Only weighs 5.8 ounces, floats, all the features I want. Less than $250 and they offer a $50 rebate a couple of times a year, so wait if your old ones still work. Battery service as low as $105 after 6 years. If you ever have to use it and submit it with a good rescue story, they give you a new one.

The Rescue Me PLB1 is even smaller so easier yet to carry, floats if secured to its pouch well, 7 year battery. $230 with $87 battery service currently.

I have not looked at the other brands lately. When I did, they all seem to lack features I wanted, but maybe some have changed.

Once again the articles were apparently written by non divers. If the wreck is only in 25 feet how could they surface out of sight of the dive boat? If there was a strong current they could have easily ascended somewhere near the wreck.

Once again the articles were apparently written by non divers. If the wreck is only in 25 feet how could they surface out of sight of the dive boat? If there was a strong current they could have easily ascended somewhere near the wreck.

I'm pretty sure the RJ is a tugboat that went down in bad weather and sits in 85-90 ft. of water 30 miles off Pasco County. We did have some nice tides this past week, but in my years of diving over here I've yet to encounter a current I couldn't swim against.

I haven't dove it yet. Too many sharks and goliath groupers.

Not my video.

Are Goliath groupers dangerous to dive around?

No, unless you're fishing very popular public spots like the RJ. They've become accustomed to getting an easy meal from every ham and egger fishing. So, you shoot a fish and they pounce and drag you around if you're line shafting or you simply lose your fish and gear free shafting. I sure as heck don't want to bother with dozens of 500 lbs. fish on a spot. Like these guys...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom