Divers missing near Marsa Alam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People have been found after a longer time in the water. They just pulled 14 people alive from the water after 9 days with no exposure protection from that ferry that sunk. I posted the story under the wreck section and have been following that incident since it sunk a week and a half ago.

gregorio:
quote from the sticky:
(1) Events will be "scrubbed" of names. You may refer to articles or news releases already in the public domain, but the only name you may use in this forum is your own.

Maybe that is why your post disapeared.

The best for them and their family.

Gregorio,

I assume you answered to my post, I didn't mention any names, but as you can see, my original post, which has been installed again, has no reference to the source, since it was in Dutch, the article I refer to, I didn't include it since the majority of the board can't read/understand Dutch. It looks that all threads on this case have been combined now under one thread.

Once more, I do hope these divers will be found. I wish them the endurance to get through those lonely and desperate moments in day and at night.

very sad news, hope divers safe return

Dehydration is going to be an issue now. Cold also.

Sea is 20-21c which might be fine for a few dives but not a few days.

Limbo,

I am sure these sorts of posts are reviewed and when combined for simplicity things went astray for a bit. Thanks for translating and bringing this to our attention.

I wish them well and hope to hear some good news.

Arizona

limbo:
Gregorio,

I assume you answered to my post, I didn't mention any names, but as you can see, my original post, which has been installed again, has no reference to the source, since it was in Dutch, the article I refer to, I didn't include it since the majority of the board can't read/understand Dutch. It looks that all threads on this case have been combined now under one thread.

Oups, I saw a thread with name, I don't remember if it was yours.
I didn't not mean any reproach or jugdment, just wanted to inform.
Cheers

Not a happy outcome on this I'm afraid..........

Search for Red Sea divers called off

The search for four divers who went missing near the southern Egyptian Red Sea resort of Marsa Alam has ended without success. Two Russians, a Dutch diver and their Egyptian dive guide became separated from the boat during a dive on Saturday morning 13km north of Marsa Alam.

Dozens of boats, including navy vessels and helicopters assisted in the search, which ended Tuesday evening. The Red Sea Association for Diving and Watersports said it had given up hope of finding the divers. The water temperature in the southern resort at this time of year is between 21 and 23ºC.

'I am sorry to say there is no chance to find them alive,' said Alaa El Din Abdelgeleel, a spokesman for the Red Sea Association for Diving and Watersports. 'We are limiting the search to the coastal areas, looking for their bodies.'

Officials named the missing Egyptian dive guide as Mahmoud Ahmed Hamdan. The missing Russian woman was identified as Yelena Sundukova and man as Dmitry Kapitonov. The Dutch man was named as Michel van Assendeof.

Back
Top Bottom