divers north of the border

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would that be high sticking ??? or Low sticking ??....I am confused:confused: ........Ice in our lake is 6" minimum.........Can't wait to do my ice diving course/dry suit course in Feb.....until then ..dive wet by the dam............of course....skating on the water.....pool is an option..I will be taking I hope.......and of course...ScubaBoard...........:D

snuggle once bubbled...

what do you guysand gals do during the winter when you cant dive because of the cold but are dying like me to get back in the water..sure would like to hear from some of you on this one [/QUOTE]

Can't dive because of the cold? Impossible! You obviously need a chainsaw! :)

:cold:

R..

Ice diving is in... but upside down hockey... I don't think so. We tried it but you end up on your face against the ice and dry suit or not, it feels colder than 0 C (32 F). So some of us Alberta Divers head to the West coast where diving only gets better in the winter. Other Alberta divers head to West Edmonton mall to dive in 20 feet of warmish water and fin along the submarine tracks while looking at the dolphins, sharks and tropical fish that are all in enclosed aquariums of there own. You can do 3 or 4 circuits each one lasts about 15 min.

i dident think that the edmonton mall was that big that you could go diving in it ?
but then agin we live in a place that the local tv brodcasting tower is the tallest thing arround but i dont think that counts in this case (lol)
as for the hot pads yes they work in a a drysuit beacuse you are putting air into the suitwitch the inlet valv is over the center of tour chest and that is where you want the hot pads (over yer heart) so that it heats up the blood and sends warm blood to the rest of your extremities. but you dont really need them with a nice drysuit and woolen clothes :)

and it is conserded low sticking and there are penelties for stirring up the mud !! lowerning the viz .

ebbtide once bubbled...
i dident think that the edmonton mall was that big that you could go diving in it ? ...

I have dived the Sub Tank at the Mall twice. The first time it was kind of neat. The 2nd, well......

Mind you, West Edm Mall management has changed the pricing on the mall dive, so I doubt anyone will dive it anymore. (I think I heard a flat rate of $800 regardless of the number of divers and that does not include air/gear etc...)

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
Ice diving is in... but upside down hockey... I don't think so. We tried it but you end up on your face against the ice and dry suit or not, it feels colder than 0 C (32 F).

See! I wasn't making it up! Someone actually admits to having tried this!:eek:ut:

I do more "fun diving in the winetr than in the summer.

JeffG once bubbled...

I have dived the Sub Tank at the Mall twice. The first time it was kind of neat. The 2nd, well......

Mind you, West Edm Mall management has changed the pricing on the mall dive, so I doubt anyone will dive it anymore. (I think I heard a flat rate of $800 regardless of the number of divers and that does not include air/gear etc...)

It could be about $800.00, but I do know a dive shop or two that puts on trips for about 60.00 per person, incld. tank.

canuckdiver once bubbled...
two investments:

1. dry suit

2. chain saw for cutting holes in the ice :wink:

From one who lives north of Windsor (south of the border), I agree with Canuckdiver. Ice diving is great. We don't do a lot of underwater hockey, but night ice dives are particularly fun.

And/or, drive to Gilboa quarry, which doesn't freeze too often.

We dive our powercanal tailrace all winter long here....... even on -30C days, no ice. Its about a 20-25 minute extreme current dive, waters in the 35 deg range, and just a bit of ice on the shoreline to make entry and exit a little more challenging........

Anyone in the area, let me know...... were planning Christmas Day and New Year's Day dives........

SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom