Divers!! Quick, call 911!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
only the course director that said I could not ride the sled behind the lifeguard's jetski, cause I might fall off. I told him I had a Bungeed reg! He said it set a bad example. Otherwise..my life is pretty boring.

I actually did this once in the Bahamas. We were doing a shore dive and the surface was too rough to swim out. They towed us out with the jet skis and then followed the flag as we dived and then towed us back to shore. You had too keep the regulator in your mouth because you constantly got water in the face. I was really a hoot, the ride was allmost as fun as the dive. :D

Rick Inman:
Anyway, has anyone else had any strange reactions from people seeing your underwater antics?

I shot mine yesterday and had a diver come down and check me out. Of course I screwed up and accidentally let go of the spool which gave them a bit more to think about.

I did thank the guy afterwards because if it was an emergency he would have been there to help me out.

Whenever we practise our SMBs on the local lake, I want to start moving in the shallows right after it hits the surface... I have never 'met' anyone else's SMBs on this lake, and I have this eerie feeling that something like above could happen. If we move with it I think it eases the pain on the onlooker tremendously.

Codyjp:
did he get the call out to cancel or did the cops just never show up? funny story.
He called back and cancled.
Gary D.:
hehehehehe What time was that? I'll check with dispatch to see what happened.
4:ish.

Rick Inman:

4:ish.

Here is how the call went.

Nature: Suspicious
Reported: 110506 16: 10 :45
Bla, Bla, Bla

Then it reads:
Bla, Bla, Bla, RP is hard to understand.
Approx. 200’ out from the boat ramp 3 emergency balloons? On the water. RP thinks someone may be in distress / unk. problem. RP will wait by the boat ramp.

16: 14 :08 110506 RP called back and said the DRIVERS of the BOATS came to shore and said there was no emergency. They were just joking. :no

I talked with the dispatcher. He said the RP was never clear as to what was on the water and what was happening if anything. Dispatch had the understanding that everything was on the surface and they may have just been a few marker buoys. The RP just saw them out there and didn’t see them surface. So no call out.

Gary D.

Gary D.:

Here is how the call went.

Nature: Suspicious
Reported: 110506 16: 10 :45
Bla, Bla, Bla

Then it reads:
Bla, Bla, Bla, RP is hard to understand.
Approx. 200’ out from the boat ramp 3 emergency balloons? On the water. RP thinks someone may be in distress / unk. problem. RP will wait by the boat ramp.

16: 14 :08 110506 RP called back and said the DRIVERS of the BOATS came to shore and said there was no emergency. They were just joking. :no

I talked with the dispatcher. He said the RP was never clear as to what was on the water and what was happening if anything. Dispatch had the understanding that everything was on the surface and they may have just been a few marker buoys. The RP just saw them out there and didn’t see them surface. So no call out.

Gary D.
LOL!!! Joking?? They must have seen our bag shoots up close! :D

Rick Murchison:
Don't try that in LA (Lower Alabama)! You'll have four guys leveling thirty-ought-sixes at you and five more with snag hooks after you :D
Rick
Getting something alive with a shark fin up here has about the same odds as a human male giving birth to triplets. :rofl3:

Gary D.

Rick Inman:
Anyway, has anyone else had any strange reactions from people seeing your underwater antics?

At the local training pond we have a lot of people shooting bags, making ascents at less-than-obivious places and doing lots of things that make you raise eyebrows and scratch heads but the minute one of them says "HELP" the helicopters are on their way. 9 times out of 10 it's a miscue but we'd rather have 9 miscues and a rescue than 9 miscues and someone dead.....because it does happen that someone gets in real trouble.....

Count yourself lucky, Rick, that someone gave a rat's as..ss and called 911 instead of assuming everything was OK

R..

The first time I shot a bag was in 15 feet of water at Old Airport beach in Maui. Within a few seconds of shooting it, somebody grabbed me by the back of my neck.

It was my husband. He had arrived while we were playing around, saw Tim's bag go up, and threw on his swim trunks and headed into the water, so he could harass me!

I did wonder what all the swimmers above us thought when these orange balloons popped up near them, though.

TSandM:
It was my husband. He had arrived while we were playing around, saw Tim's bag go up, and threw on his swim trunks and headed into the water, so he could harass me!

Peter, that is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom