Divevolk on primary phone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heftysmurf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Morning SB,

Yes, I've searched and people LOVE their Divevolks though some say they wouldn't dive it with a primary phone. So, I have a GoPro clone as a last minute purchase a couple of months ago since my Hero 4 wasn't holding a charge. I dig its video capabilities but as others have experienced, GoPro and GoPro adjacent products do video well -- for photos, DiveVolk.

Enter my dilemma -- I have an iPhone 15 Pro which obviously has a rad camera. In my drawer of spare phones, I have my daughters old iPhone 12...With cracked back glass. There has got to be folks running a DiveVolk with a crack on here. I'm curious if it's held up? Or, those with a 15 Pro...Do you just toss it in and hope it doesn't flood? I've got Apple Care on the 15 Pro so I'm not entirely worried. To add, I'm also a novice at photography but like having something with me in the event I see something amazing like a Hawksbill riding a manatee or something! :)

So...thoughts? Should I tinker with the 12 for the time being or just go all out and use the 15? Will the tray for the 12 work for the 15?

Thanks in advance!

Kris

No experience with this housing but it has good reviews. I use a sealife housing with my primary phone, 14, and don’t worry about it and I don’t have AppleCare. It’s a phone, you end up with a new one every few years anyway.

No experience with this housing but it has good reviews. I use a sealife housing with my primary phone, 14, and don’t worry about it and I don’t have AppleCare. It’s a phone, you end up with a new one every few years anyway.
Applecare+ covers two incidents of water damage at $50 each. So in my case (ha ha), worse scenario is a $50 fee if the housing floods.

primary phone.
I just love how you chose to word it (and in your fins I’d do the same— I too have a primary and donate phones)

sadly no DV experience, I go with a paralenz/gopro combo

My iPhone 14 survived a flood in a Divevolk case. Was not too deep when I noticed and surfaced and put it on the boat. Ultimately found the case glass had cracked. Likely someone stepped on it in a crowded boat.

At some point I would like to understand the physics of a waterproof thing in a waterproof-but-leaking case at depth. Like, the iPhone can handle submersion up to a couple of meters. If the outer case leaks a little and lets in a few drops at 30m, is that just like splashing a little water on the phone? Or are those 30m-drops-o-death that will immediately get sucked into the phone innards given the pressure differential? What the's pressure inside the case at that point anyway? It's all quite non-intuitive to me.

As for the thread topic: I use my primary iPhone in a Sealife case. I hope it survives, but if doesn't it's not the end of the world, for all of the above reasons. It would be more annoying from a lack-of-communication standpoint when I'm in a foreign country, of course. Bringing a spare phone for that scenario might be an idea, if communication is important to you.

At some point I would like to understand the physics of a waterproof thing in a waterproof-but-leaking case at depth. Like, the iPhone can handle submersion up to a couple of meters. If the outer case leaks a little and lets in a few drops at 30m, is that just like splashing a little water on the phone? Or are those 30m-drops-o-death that will immediately get sucked into the phone innards given the pressure differential? What the's pressure inside the case at that point anyway? It's all quite non-intuitive to me.
Time/pressure. A sealife DC 2000 I had got a small lead on a Maldives trip, camera was fine but had some serious fogging and drying things out there was not easy, lots of desiccant helped.

had a leak on canon g15 ( I think) from a piece of desiccant one bead from a torn packet and poof, camera shot.

overall a crap shoot but the device having some water resistance gives you time to get it out of the water, it may be fine or not.

I too would like to know that, @jborg ! Indeed, this isn't a life is over event should the phone get ruined and in a worst case scenario, use the cracked 12 until the 15 gets repaired/replaced.

Appreciate the response thus far! Leaning to tossing the 15 in the Divevolk!

I have a DiveVolk housing and absolutely dive with it with my primary phone. I just upgraded to the iPhone 15 Pro Max (from a 12 Pro Max) and absolutely can't wait to take it underwater deep this weekend.

And the tray for my 12 worked fine for the 15. They are the same size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom