Diving a full face mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering, what are the risks of diving a full face nask? Where i dive the water is really cold so i figured I should start diving one.

Please list the pros and cons.

Thanx:D

With the proper training FFM diving is safer than traditional SCUBA diving.

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/courses/FullFaceMask/index.html
http://www.adp.fsu.edu/HistoryOfDiving/index.html

The first commercially successful design of full-face mask is actually still in production to this date. With a history spanning almost 70 years the Desco “Jack Browne mask” is one of the most enduring designs in diving. Designed by a Desco engineer named Jack Browne in 1938 the design truly came into its own when the Navy awarded a contract for a light weight mask for use in World War II. The mask was available in several configurations offering completely enclosed re-breather designs as well as the free flowing light weight mask design used for surface supplied salvage work extensively in WW II.

Full-face mask designs can fall into several categories, some are designed for use in SCUBA configurations both open and closed circuit, others are designed to be used surface supplied for commercial work, and still others are designed to serve both purposes.

The advantages of full-face mask diving include allowing the diver to breath through their nose creating a more natural rhythm, protection from environmental factors allowing the divers face to remain warm and dry, and the ability to communicate vocally with other divers or a receiving unit on the surface.

The disadvantages include the advanced training required and the prohibitive price of the equipment. The latter has changed in recent years somewhat as manufactures are beginning to recognize the enormous potential of the recreational diving market and designing masks with this concept in mind.

One method of dealing with the effects of cold water (laryngospasm)if the mask is lost or you need to switch to an alternate air source is to immerse your face in the water while breathing off your second stage for a minute or so prior to making the dive.

Jeff Lane

Poseidon is brill

don't touch ocean reef
DSI is an amazing mask we call it the EXO 24 in the UK

The AGA is a must...also known as the Intersiro diviator MK2 used by the worlds military

I have one of the new Poseidon rigs here and think it is great, you need to be running a higher I.P. with it... If you do not have a Poseidon first stage or an adjustable first then factor that cost in.

The AGA mask is the MK-20 in our military but really is great mask also. I would go with the demand as opposed to the positive pressure model. OTS was running a great deal at DEMA for a mask, surface breathing valve, buddy phone, and swivel connection combo (yup, I kicked myself last year for not picking some up also...)

Kirby Morgan has a great new mask called the M-48, the pod style mask. One of the most comfortable rigs I have used it can also be run with a re-breather... They also have a EXO-26 mask that now comes standard with a great balanced and adjustable regulator but it is much more heavy duty and better suited to surface supplied diving. Kind of a replacement to the Band-mask...

The Ocean Reef is an alright mask, it does not breath as easy or efficiently as the others listed. It is not as durably constructed in my opinion but is a little cheaper than the others usually. Consider how much diving you will do with it and what types of diving...

If your going to use the masks for any length of time then go with one of the others...

Look around for a deal on a used one first, AGA and Kirby Morgan EXO masks are usually around if you look.

Good luck in your search, try to find a place to test dive the mask prior to purchase and make sure it fits well...

Jeff Lane

Dangerous Diver once bubbled...

don't touch ocean reef

All masks he's mentioned are great including OCEAN REEF. If Ocean Reef wasn't a great mask they would not be selling thousands of these masks with success. I bought an ocean reef full face mask last year and have no desire to EVER go back to a regulator in the mouth. It's that good.

Once you purchase your mask I highly recommend going to a pool for 3-4 hrs. of bottom time with your new mask. I'm not saying spend at that time at once underwater, but over a month period or so. Get used to wearing it with a hood.

My ocean reef is nothing short of awesome. There are 4 of us now with the ocean reef mask since I bought mine and we all love them.

Good Luck

Another FFM worthy of mention is the very basic Cressi clone that was being sold by Poseidon back during the '60s & '70s.
It allowed the use of the mouthpiece on the regulator, eliminating the possibility of CO2 buildup & makes mask clearing as simple as clearing your reg.
Price tags vary from around $75 to $125 for the critters.
A picture of the mask can be seen at: http://www.tridentdive.com/page108.htm
Cousteau used this mask along with Cyklon regs & Unisuits for diving in Antarctica.:wink: (got it on tape)

For the average recreational diver a FFM is not really worth the hassel. As most have already stated it takes alot of advanced training to be proficient in their use. FFM's complicate gas sharing, hose routing and emergency procedures. The added cost of this system is usually enough to deter the average rec diver.

A FFM has its place in diving but for use in colder water for rec dives I think you'll find that a regular mask and reg and the proper exposure protection is more than adequate. The upper lip is generally the only exposed body part and this is profused well by the body and not likely to freeze under normal rec diving conditions.

I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

OK.....This may be a silly question to you guys but how DO you share air with a full face mask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom