Diving after bone fusion, recovery time ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
Had bone fusion done on January 9 2013 and have plans to go diving the last week of March while down in Florida.
I have not called Dan yet, but will be calling them soon for their input.
Anybody here have any information that I will find helpfull ?
I had four bones fused together with two long screws, a plate and eight little screws in my left foot.
My concerns are about the bone fusion sites and how the depths will affect them.
I hope to do 3 days ( 6 to 9 dives total ) of dives with a max depth of 100 ft.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Breslin

Hi Jim,
Are any of the plates supposed to be removed from your foot after a period of time? While I'm not a doctor, I have had a bunch of surgeries, fusions, pins, plates and screws put into my body over the years. My first thought on the timing of your up coming dive, is that you're pushing it.

I don't think that the depths will have any adverse effect on your surgical site, but the activity levels put upon the newly configured foot, will certainly put it to the test. I think that you will feel a lot of pain and have to deal with swelling, and if you're on any medications before or during the dive, those things need to be considered.

Even after your dive, should you opt for meds to relieve pain and swelling, then you'll need to take those into consideration, and how they will affect you given your bottom time.

Personally, I think you should wait a solid 3 months, minimum, before taking on the rigors of diving again, but that's just my advise, and I am not a doctor.

Here is a link you may find to be informative.

Good luck with your decision, and do keep me apprised.

Surgical Considerations Related to Diving

The Ten Foot Stop: Surgical Considerations Related to Diving

Blessings,
Sandy

Hi Jim,

Can I ask what you had the fusion for? Were there any surgical complications, and did you have any other accompanying trauma or medical issues?

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Jim,

Can I ask what you had the fusion for? Were there any surgical complications, and did you have any other accompanying trauma or medical issues?

Best regards,
DDM

Hi,
Had the surgery to take care of foot pain I have when I walk. Have had this pain for over 20 years.
I had wore out the cartilage between some of the bones in both of my feet.
The operation went fine and am on crutches for the next 5 weeks or so.
They fused together my 1st metatarsal, 2 nd metatarsal , medial cunelform and intermediate cunelform.
They put in a screw to join the medial and intermediate cunelform bones, and a screw from the medial cunelform to the 2nd metatarsal. They also put in a plate with 8 screws on the top of the joined bones.
They used some bone , bone marrow and I think she said stem cells from my left hip to fill in the fusion sites.

I think thats about all that was done.

Thanks, Jim

We interrupt this post to bring you a message from Jim's dive-buddies....

Man, Jim! You're falling apart!!! You better make sure you do what's necessary so you don't miss another dive season or a lot of us are going to be ticked!!!

....we now return you to the originally scheduled post.

Jim,

I'd say as soon as you're cleared for full activity by your surgeon you should be fine. By full activity I mean physical exercise, putting strain on the foot, carrying extra weight, etc. Remember your foot will be in an odd configuration with finning. I'd echo Sandy's concerns above about the activity level and the pain meds. I don't think that inert gas will be an issue.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Jim,
Are any of the plates supposed to be removed from your foot after a period of time?
No, the pins and plates are now a part of me.

My first thought on the timing of your up coming dive, is that you're pushing it.
I didn't want to hear that, but I too have concerns.

activity levels put upon the newly configured foot, will certainly put it to the test. I think that you will feel a lot of pain and have to deal with swelling, and if you're on any medications before or during the dive, those things need to be considered.
I am not on any meds, don't care to mask pain. If it hurts I don't do it. If I am in pain I know something is wrong, and act accordingly.

Personally, I think you should wait a solid 3 months, minimum, before taking on the rigors of diving again, but that's just my advise, and I am not a doctor.
It will be 11 weeks pst surgery, I hope I am ready. I hope I'mm good to go, but only time will tell.

Here is a link you may find to be informative.

Good luck with your decision, and do keep me apprised.

Sandy thank you very much for the input. Even though I don't like to hear bad news , I still need to hear it.

Jim Breslin

I would discuss your plans with your orthopedic surgeon, and make sure he understands the amount of weight you are going to be carrying, and what the mechanics of kicking with fins on are. This does sound like a pretty aggressive time frame to me, but I don't do this surgery.

I spoke with my surgeon last Friday, and she is taking a wait and see approach to if i will be ready or not.
She said alot depends on how I heal. Wants to see me on Feb 8 th , then start re-hab and go from there.
Thamks, Jim

I have cervical fusion and DAN could/would not give me any solid answers to the effects of depth upon the healing process. They told me that there are not any studies for them to go off of. I decided to wait until my doctor cleared me for 600' dives and immediately went to 300'. He was actually disappointed to hear that I stopped there. I would have to suggest that you wait until the fusion is complete before you take any unnecessary chances with causing complications to your surgery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom