Diving along the LA/MS Gulf coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

808SUBDVR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning on being in the Baton Rouge area the middle of March and was curious what kind of diving there is to do in the gulf in the general vicinity? I would think that wouldn't be too bad a time of year to go down there but I could be wrong. Also, what kind of life could I expect to see there? I am coming form diving in Hawaii so I assume it wouldn't be the same as there. Thanks for any help.

Kerry

Unfortunately (thanks to the Mississippi delta), I found out there isn't much for diving in the Gulf of Mexico around LA unless you drive east. I had a conference in New Orleans a couple years ago. I drove all the way to Pensacola, but the diving there was great. If you got a few hours, it is worth the drive.

What about the rigs, and the Flower Gardens? I hear diving is pretty great out there.

If you can get out to the rigs, the diving is fantastic. Water clarity can be okay (green water) to the best (bluest water you'll find). Whatever the water color, life is still great. Might could find a boat to take you on a spear fishing trip if your in to that.

The fouling community growing in the rig structures varies from platform to platform. Expect to see some big fish and sharks. Good stuff.

The flower gardens is really good, but the boat leaves out of Freeport Tx, no where near BR. Understand the FGB is not a novice diving trip.

True Blue Watersports is located in Lake Charles and often has dive trips as well as Underwater Adventures, located in Baton Rouge. If that doesn't fit your schedule, there are a couple good shore dives within a couple hours drive. Whiskey Wreck near Dauphin Island Alabama is about 150 yds. off shore and can be accessed from a public parking lot next to Bahama Bob's. Ft Pickens Alabama has a popular dive site from inside the national park with artifical reefs (equipment, jeeps, vehicles) with a good assortment of wildlife. Pensacola Beach Fl. has Portifino Reef is about 150 yds off shore (not very deep) and has 2 orange pillars to use for 'siting in'. If you can drive a little further you might enjoy Morrison Springs, Fl or Vortex Springs, Fl., both can be found on the internet. Wish I was coming to Hawaii for you to direct me!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom