Diving and backpacking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking back, in Australia I did have a spell of staying in a youth hostel . . .I just used to pack away my gear while still wet, back to hostel, hang it all on a tree in the yard, hose it down, have a few beers while keeping an eye on it, when dry put it away in dive bag, put on chain mail and secure with metal loop underneath bunk bed. I don't think I was too bothered if it didn't fully dry, depending on when I was planning to dive again.

I can't remember what I used to do in Indonesia to be honest. I think I used to rinse it and leave it in the dive shop. I definitely did this in Tulumben. Sounds crazy now but never ever had a problem.

I would also prioritise bringing a safety sausage and similar pieces of emergency gear like a whistle etc. Very lightweight.

Something else I would like to add: if you do bring your own reg, and do a fair bit of diving with it, please remember to have it serviced every 50 dives. The dives can mount up and your reg can get crud in it while you're merrily thinking "sure I had it serviced before I came on my travels". Keep it maintained.

Annie offers some good advice re: accessory equipment. However, I'm puzzled by the suggestion of reg maintenance every 50 dives. If I did that, I'd be servicing mine every 1-2 months. My service interval is 250-500 dives (1-2 years) for my G250 (which, admittedly, is a bit liberal).

The guideline I'm aware of is that you should service regs annually or every 50 dives . . .could be wrong on that. How many dives would it take a reg to get crudded up through normal use and the odd splash etc. ?

rapidiver:
I know this is going to sound like a total plug but I've got to pipe in. For disclaimer purposes:
I am related to the designer of the RAPID DIVER, I’ve been testing the RAPID DIVER prototypes for a couple of years, my username is “RAPIDIVER”, the picture is me wearing a RAPID DIVER, and my store sells the RAPID DIVER so, you might say I’m pretty close to the product. So nobody buy anything based soley on my opinion.

With that said, you've gotta check this out and tell me what you think for Backpacking:(ignore the store link) http://www.rapidiver.com

Hi, thanx for your response. I have been on the website. The RAPIDIVER looks really GREAT (if it's packed, just the opposite :05: ). Still have some doubts about the system.
I see that the tank is in front, isn't that a discomfort while diving? Okay the tank is not that BIG, but doesn't it restrict your body movement? But if you can attach a (bigger) tank on the back (and don't use the one on the frontside) it would be a great system. Those smaller tanks, are they available worldwide? Especially when it is also reasonably priced...

The whole package (without the tank) weights about?
I might buy meself a car overthere. Gotta check that webise again!
(and read the just found FAQ :D )

I've actually been thinking about bringing it up to some never scuba dived, clear mountain lake. It's lightweight and has a load bearing harness: I've actually worn it on long walks comfortably although when backpacking I don't think you would wear it. It's lightweight(around 20# filled). The one problem I forsee is extra gas. Each addtl. tank weighs around 10# and it would be nice to get more than a few dives after bringing everything up a mountain.
That's is a great idea. Never know what kinda puddle you will encounter while "tramping". Wished I had that thing a few years ago. I struggled with my (ofcourse too HEAVY) backpack on Fraser Island (sand, sand, nothing but sand). There are a couple of cristalclear lakes with almost endless vis. I wish I had dived in them, okay I did in the morning for a fresh start of the day :14:
But that was more like a quick jump in and out... brrrrr :11:

HAiko:
Hi, thanx for your response. I have been on the website. The RAPIDIVER looks really GREAT (if it's packed, just the opposite :05: ). Still have some doubts about the system.
I see that the tank is in front, isn't that a discomfort while diving? Okay the tank is not that BIG, but doesn't it restrict your body movement? But if you can attach a (bigger) tank on the back (and don't use the one on the frontside) it would be a great system. Those smaller tanks, are they available worldwide? Especially when it is also reasonably priced...

The whole package (without the tank) weights about?
I might buy meself a car overthere. Gotta check that webise again!
(and read the just found FAQ :D )

That's is a great idea. Never know what kinda puddle you will encounter while "tramping". Wished I had that thing a few years ago. I struggled with my (ofcourse too HEAVY) backpack on Fraser Island (sand, sand, nothing but sand). There are a couple of cristalclear lakes with almost endless vis. I wish I had dived in them, okay I did in the morning for a fresh start of the day :14:
But that was more like a quick jump in and out... brrrrr :11:

Sounds like quite an adventure you are planning...I'm jealous. One of the benefits of working with this type of lightweight dive gear is that I get to use it in dive areas that have been overlooked by other divers. I have been consistently finding "virgin" dive spots. By the way, it is a common misconception that a front mount tank is awkward and bulky. In the water the tank virtually disappears. The tank is slightly negative which puts the weight of the tank in the optimal place--kind of like a keel. Also, believe it or not, because of the refraction from using a mask, you have to make a conscious effort to even see the tank when underwater! Also,the versatility of the unit allows you to place a tank on the back if you require that configuration. Another aspect of the Rapid that you might consider is when the tank is empty (no fill stations in the outback) you can strip off the life support system and use the rig as a military style swimmers vest.

One of our goals is to support divers like you in utilizing the technology in exploring those hard to get places. We wish you luck...don't forget to send some pictures of you adventure.

annie:
The guideline I'm aware of is that you should service regs annually or every 50 dives . . .could be wrong on that. How many dives would it take a reg to get crudded up through normal use and the odd splash etc. ?
I've heard that guideline too but I don't think going over would place you in too much jeaopardy. I don't know if I'd go 500 dives over like Dr. Bill though. Man, you keep diving like that and you're going to grow gills.

I would chose how much dive gear to take based upon the percentage of my trip focused on diving. Speaking from the experince of diving/backpacking for many months around latin america and SE asia I find a full kit can be a bit of work to haul around but I find having my own gear that I am familiar with makes it well worth the effort. But I generally don't go many places that don't provide diving anymore, I'm addicted:D

My current backpacker dive setup is: mask/snorkel, Zeagle Scout BC, SP Mk16/s550 reg, 5/4 fullsuit, gloves&booties, Mares Quattros fins, Aeris 2 dive computer, small backup light, c-card and logbook, and safety sausage w/ finger reel. Worth every ounce. It all fits in my backpack along with the few clothes and other items I need with a bit of room to spare.

However, if diving will only be a side diversion during your trip, and you are interested more in the overall travel experince then I would say fast and light is the way to go. For me that means mask and snorkel only. Hauling dive gear around and not getting much use out of it gets old real quick...

One thing I would add, when taking a full dive kit, a nice option if I decide to take time off from diving is to ask the hostel or hotel to store my dive gear for a week or three while I go climb a mountain or explore some inland temples etc.

I guess I'm not following what exactly it is you're hoping to do; like how much walking with dive gear you're planning on. To me backpacking means hiking in wilderness areas with everything needed to survive, food, tent, etc... in my backpack. To add dive gear to this for the purpose of stopping at a lake (for example) and diving it would be VERY challenging to say the least, at least for me. I have brought snorkeling gear (no wetsuit) on day hikes and easier backpacking trips, but have never considered lugging dive gear up a mountain.

It sounds more like what you're talking about is the more European (I guess?) idea of backpacking which basically means traveling around by a combination of walking and public transport, staying in inexpensive places and maybe camping at organized camping areas, but rarely going into wilderness areas for several days at a time, is that right? And along the way you'll want to take some dive trips in areas where there are organized charters or at least shops for rental/air fills etc?

If it were me in that situation, I'd be really tempted to bring a mask only; maybe a wrist computer if you have one. This is assuming you'll be carrying around all your stuff all the time. There's no way you can carry everything, so you're looking at renting; might as well rent everything. Is it possible for you to plan ahead where you're going to dive, and contact someone in the area to check out rental stuff? Another possibility, I suppose, would be to plan you diving for the beginning on your trip, lug a fair amount of gear with you, and then mail it back to your home address while you happily trek around unencumbered by your heavy dive gear.

My dive gear bag, which includes a reg, BP/W (that's the heavy item..)wetsuit, mask/fins/snorkel, and a few other assorted dive items almost rivals my backpack packed for a several day (warm weather) hike in terms of weight, so personally I'd hate to carry it around much more than airport to hotel to dive boat.

Back
Top Bottom