Diving and conservation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr T(urtle)

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering who wants to dive and conserve the environment?

I run a marine conservation project in Malaysia and believe in long term conservation not just 2-3 years but 20 to 40 years. Our project presently runs an afterschool club at the primary school on the Perhentian Islands Malaysia. We visit every month and teach the children about how their activities on the land affects the marine life. Last year we heard the children telling off some older villagers for throwing fishing line into the sea as it will suffocate turtles. We also run a turtle sanctuary project on Perhentian Besar where we are educating the tourists about turtles and how the rainforests and reefs are connected.

We are currently only at phase 1 of the project and still have alot of work to get to Phase 2 which will be establishing the marine clubs on the mainland, educating all tourists on the island of Perhentian and establishing the migration routes of the nesting turtles. Once this is secured we will look at protecting the feeding grounds of the turtles.

All of this requires alot of time and effort but is the only way to save the turtles of Malaysia - the Leatherback and olive ridley turtles are on the verge of local extinction and without focused effort and money these turtles will be lost!

You can join our project and help with our marine club program and dive to your hearts content!

Type in 'great marine project' into a search engine and you will find our website. or join our bebo, facebook or myspace groups and get regular updates about the project.

You can also help us to conduct reef check surveys on Tioman island as well!

Mr T(urtle)

I would love to be able to join you in this noble effort and cause. Unfortunately, I am around the world from you so I can only thank you for your efforts for now. Maybe someday I will be close enough to help you out.

Hi Mr turtle,

I just read your post and I am glad and happy that you and your group are starting something to educate the public about conservation and the protection of the leatherback and olive ridley turtles. I live in Singapore and it's not far from malaysia. I've been wanting to my part to help in the conservation of our reefs and the creatures that call it home.
Well currently I am still studyin and about to enter my National Service next year and i'm thinkin of takin up marine biology or anything that has got to do with the marine environment and scuba diving. I have just recently completed my advance diver course and going on to take my rescue diver course, althought i do not have much experience yet in diving but i very eager to keep diving and learn but most importantly to protect and conserve our underwater ecosystem.
I hope i can be of some help to you guys.
Thanks

With Regards,
CM:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom