Diving and Cosmetics article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WARNIG: I just spit beer on my keyboard. . .

girldiverllc:
You know, I've often thought about all of the 'crap' we put into the water...via hair conditioners, sunscreen, de-fog drops, etc.

When I wrote my article about "Hoods and Hair"...I contemplated the effects of the sea when advising conditioner lathered into the hair. Two tablespoons conditioner...times 2.4 million certified female divers in U.S. alone...times how many dives per year????

In the "land world" there are easy, though sometimes phony, solutions to eco-friendly products. But how do you choose a sunscreen...or a hair conditioner...that won't harm sea life? Especially when we really don't have ANY idea what does...and in what strength...harm each area of the aquatic world.

Honestly, at this point, we aren't sure what effects man is having on the underwater world.

And if the choice comes to putting a film of sunscreen into the water vs. skin cancer...well...

Alas...I'll write the article and leave it to the individual to determine their care on the underwater realm.

(Ok...I'm feeling a little 'green-peacey' today...)

Cheers!

On my last trip to cozumel, I brought with me sunscreen that proclaimed itself "biodegradable" and harmless to the environment. One of the trip participants was a chemist... she picked up my sunscreen, read the ingredients and said "uh, I don't think so."

it was kind of a bummer.
kari

Lipstick.. blush.. mascara.. eyeshadow.. On the boat? You've got to be joking..

I always use conditioner and a hood.. even when doing pool work or diving the tropics.. A Henderson ,fleece lined, "skin" thickness hood. Mostly to keep my long dark very curly hair out of the way.. also to protect it..

Use oil of olay spf 30 sensitive skin moisturizer on my face.. Burt's bee lip balm.. And an all natural heavy duty conditioner for my hair.. I work conditone through my hair after I wash it out with fresh water..

I’ve been told that makeup can migrate to your mask glass and contribute to fogging.
However, I have no personal experience to confirm or deny.

My friend just got eyeliner tatooed on (tastefully) and is thinking about tinting her lashes. If I was in the water a lot I would do the same, unfortunately I am not in the water as much as I'd like.

Sephora or Make up forever waterproof mascara.

Make up forever waterproof liquid liner. (this stuff rocks)

If you must wear something on your lips, try a Lip tint (Smashbox makes a few nice ones) instead of lipstick or gloss. I find just getting too close to jellyfish also works. :wink:

Trying out "timebalm" a new under-eye luggage bag coverup. So far so good, as it plays nice with the 50 sunblock :)

basically I work long long shifts and was looking for makeup that just stays put. Indirectly (AKA diving after work) I found it also stays put whilst diving. :)

i never go anywhere without lip tint

(but seriously, i do not envy you gals your social obligation to always "look good" ... hey ... i'm a slob .. also, i have a large mole on my back ... but nobody knows... except i just told everybody i did ... darn....)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom