Diving and going into the mountains

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TrojanCatMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I plan on doing 3 dives tomorrow (finishing around 3pm) all with a profile of 35' for 50 minutes. I plan on doing one of those dives one 32% nitrox and the other two on just air. The catch comes because I have to go to an altitude of approximately 1 mile the next day around 7am. Are my risks for DCS high? Should I cut out one dive tomorrow? I am a reasonably in shape young guy (I exercise 5 times a week) in ideal health. Any thoughts?

Disclaimer: The views expressed below are my own and do not constitute a guarantee that you will not experience DCS.

Here is your expected profile, as I see it - 150 minutes at 35 feet, with a safety stop at 0 feet for 16 hours.

If your max depth is only 35 feet, I do not think that you would have any problems with an ascent to altitude 16 hours later.

If you look at the original Haldanian dive theory, (developed by blowing up goats in a chamber) you can dive to 33 feet almost indefinitely without accruing a deco obligation. With a 16 hour safety stop at 0 feet, I think you should be fine.

Make sure that you are well hydrated before and after the dive.

I plan on doing 3 dives tomorrow (finishing around 3pm) all with a profile of 35' for 50 minutes. I plan on doing one of those dives one 32% nitrox and the other two on just air. The catch comes because I have to go to an altitude of approximately 1 mile the next day around 7am. Are my risks for DCS high? Should I cut out one dive tomorrow? I am a reasonably in shape young guy (I exercise 5 times a week) in ideal health. Any thoughts?

Is it safe to assume that the NITROX dive will be the last dive of the day?

When I took the NAUI NITROX course it was indicated that you can keep the same mix or go to a richer mix (EAN 36 for example) in a subsequent dive within the same day but you should not go to a leaner mixture (air after NITROX).

Thanks for the input. It seems to be the standard no fly rule. Therefore 12 hours should be adequate (with the longer I can stay at sea level the better). Thanks for the help! Also to answer the question yes I planned on diving Nitrox last :).

I think Nomad covered it well. The Nitrox is just an extra caution, but it's a similar approach to what I did once with 2 - 20 ft dives followed by a flight a few hours later, with the approval of my TDI Inst.

Back
Top Bottom