Diving and lightning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they do when they start decomposing and gasses from that build up in their bodies (just like people who drown, natch)

However, most fish who die in the ocean don't remain in one piece long enough for that to become a factor. In fact, they don't even have to die - just being stunned is enough.

When the DNR does fish counts aroun here they shock em and they float up to be counted I think.

is that no fish that I've ever shot, nor any that one of my dive buddies has shot, has risen to the surface initially on their own once dead.

Now when you start ascending with them (say, once strung and with you to keep), they become positive - because the gas trapped in their bodies expands, and being dead, they cannot release it. Much like you would if you were neutral, unconscious, and were pulled upwards a distance - eventually the expanding gas in your air spaces and BC would take over, and up you'd go.

Every fish I've ever seen shot accidentally (and there have been a few) has sunk to the bottom, and I've never seen them release any bubbles when shot that would account for the buoyancy shift.

(Besides, even if they DID float up, they wouldn't stay THERE long either. Minutes, at best. I've released shorts that have died during the fight before and its very, very rare that they make it more than a couple of minutes before some predator gets them on the surface as they float off.)

I don't dive if there is fire coming from the sky. Rain doesn't bother me, but lightning does.

Does anyone have any figures or data as to how many divers each year are struck by lightning while underwater?

Obviously, it is extremely dangerous to be diving while a thunderstorm is taking place. With either aluminum or steel tanks attached to your back, you're a moving lightning rod. But as some dive buddies and I can attest to, sometimes these things sneak up on you.

We had no idea one was coming around when we got into the water, and by the time I surfaced and saw it coming, I had no way to warn them, as they were still doing some last minute sightseeing.

Does anyone else have some stories about diving during thunderstorms?

:bolt:

I read a dive report about 2 cave divers diving at Devil's Ear and got struck by lightning when they were way back in the cave. I'll see if I can find the report and I'll re-post it here.

I thought that lightening was only dangerous if you were on the surface -- not submerged. The thinking is that lightening will only skip across the surface and not deeply penetrate the water.

I was caught in a wicked thunderstorm last year while completing a dive in a wisconsin lake. I got out of there in a real hurry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom