Diving and Running (lots of running)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

david.tolan

Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm training for a marathon, which means running 4 and then 5 days a week, assuming that I would dive on my rest days only, and that I would not have a long run the day before or after a dive. (anything more than 6 miles is long), would that be likely to cause any problems with DCS ?

I'm thinking that if it's the next day when I'm running, I'll have rid my self of any excess nitrogen. And if I'm running all the time, then the run the day before should not have any impact.

david.tolan:
If I'm training for a marathon, which means running 4 and then 5 days a week, assuming that I would dive on my rest days only, and that I would not have a long run the day before or after a dive. (anything more than 6 miles is long), would that be likely to cause any problems with DCS ?

I'm thinking that if it's the next day when I'm running, I'll have rid my self of any excess nitrogen. And if I'm running all the time, then the run the day before should not have any impact.

DAN has a question in their FAQ section that's almost identical to what you're asking. Seems to me like you'd be fine from what the article says, but take a look for yourself:

Exercise Training and Scuba Diving

Running the day before or after diving should not be a problem, both from the perpecctive of published research as well as the tremendous amount of real-world data on this. Interestingly enough, there are several researchers currently looking at the effect of exercise immediately before diving. Long story short, the studies that have been published in the past two years suggest that, not only might exercise before diving be fine, it might even reduce our chances of DCS. See this thread for more info on the studies just published last month:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=108893

Cameron

If you want lots of PT, running and diving get into the NAVY diving program. They seem to work very well together. But check with DAN.

Gary D.

I recall seeing this discussed before somewhere, and recall the consensus based on the available data seemed to be that if you refrained from hard exercise two hours before and six hours after a dive, you should be okay insofar as nitrogen-related problems. the DAN article quoted above seems to agree.

Your plan to wait til the next day to run and not to put your long run on either side of a dive sounds conservative, and seems exhaustion isn't an issue based on your fitness level.

I'm not a doctor or technical type, just a runner/diver repeating what I've heard.

Good luck on the marathon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom