Diving around Isle Au Haut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickydazla

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there,

So, my wife and I are driving out to Isle Au Haut with extended family. We are both instructors who dive regularly in the Great Lakes and would love to get in the water 1) Because we would, and 2) To escape the family for a minute!

What are the options around the Island? Snorkeling? Diving? Charters? Are we on our own or are there other divers, shops, clubs we could hook up with. Can bring gear if necessary but would also be interested to hear if rental is an option.

Thanks!

Rick

Hi Rick,

The Maine coast is painfully underdeveloped as a dive destination though you are heading to some really nice diving. Your nearest commercial compressed air is probably Hamilton marine in NE. Harbor on Mt. Desert island or Johnson's down in Rockland. My wife and I just returned from 2 weeks of diving and otherwise enjoying MDI / Acadia NP.

There may very well be compressed air available from a non conventional source, private, fire dept etc. on Isle Au Haut. That will take some research. When you say driving I don't even see a vehicle ferry to Isle Au Haut.

The only commercial charter I am aware of up in that region is Diver Ed our of Bar Harbor.

For all of the logistic involved If you can get the equipment I would jump in and follow the rocky cost or browse pier pilings anyplace you can get in. Beware that you will be dealing with tidal swings on the order of 10 feet. Even the skin-diving is breathtaking and much less gear intensive.

Pete

Are you driving to Mount Desert Island? You cannot drive to Isle Au Haut, If you are going to Isle Au Haut you need to take the Ferry from Stonington. If you are coming to MDI and the Bar Harbor Area, Spectrum has you covered with his information listed above. Diver Ed does run a weekly dive charter on Sunday mornings, however, yesterday was cancelled with the bad weather we had up here.

Skin Diving Isle Au Haut

So, we drove to Stonington, after spending the night just outside of Brunswick, and caught the ferry over. The cottage we rented came with a vehicle.

I took a 5mm long suit and a 7/5mm hooded vest, some Kevlar palmed 5mm gloves, and my newly-acquired dream fins -- they are full foot Mares Avanti Quattros, which wouldn't be suitable for most in the cold, rocky conditions but I have feet like a camel and was just fine. OK, they were a little red when I came out (it was only 50 degrees!) but I survived and wouldn't do anything different again. I also brought suits and gear for the fam.

My wife, brother-in-law and I swam out to and around the rocky islets just off the Northeast end of the island and I also jumped in a second time at Boom Beach after I spied an outcrop that I thought might be interesting. Both were very enjoyable. We saw a lot of crustaceans, including lobster (would you believe?!), several different types of crab, and some shrimp; fishes; and a variety of seaweed and leathery, kelpy-looking stuff.

We caught the tides at the peak of high, which made entry and exit much easier and also meant that the water was relatively clear (I'd say viz was ~8-10' both times). There was current all the way up to the change of tide, at which point it swung round and kicked in almost immediately from the opposite direction. Between the tides the currents were fierce. We kayaked at half tide between the same islets and it was like being on a river!

For future reference there are divers on the island and getting an airfill at least would be possible. Renting gear would not have been out of the question either. Ask at the store. We found out a little late though and as Spectrum suggested, the skin diving is great regardless.

The island and Maine generally were beautiful. I hope to return in the not too distant future for more.

Thanks for your responses. I hope this helps future explorers!

Rick

tactical_Snorkeling.jpgtactical_Snorkeling2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom