Diving around Tampa, Clearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
I'm considering moving down to the Clearwater area. Are there good spots (good viz) off the shore around there? I've heard there are reefs - does this mean coral? Also, does the diving get better as you move south in FL, or do you really just have to go to the Keys to get the good stuff?

thanks!
-aujax

I got my OW cert in Tampa and have made a few dives there. Visibility can be pretty bad - horrible by Florida Keys standards. There is just too much silt getting kicked up there.

There are some cool dives if you get a good vis day though. Someone sank three of four Sherman tanks in a row in one place and there are a number of dive sites with large Jewfish to say hello to...

I could write for a long time about diving off Pinellas County (Clearwater), and it's neighboring counties, Pasco, and Hernando.

The Gulfcoast gets deep gradually; it's not like the Atlantic Coast of Florida. Pasco County especially has some incredible flats fishing because 23 miles off shore you are still in only 17 ft of water. Clearwater gets deeper a little quicker, and St. Pete quicker yet.

You asked about vis. Yes, it's good over here. I have many dive buddies who do mostly Florida east coast stuff (Atlantic) and they envy our vis. They contend frequently with 5 - 10 ft, whereas we have 30 - 40 quite often. Our vis can go downhill be algae growth, and tropical depressions or storms. A major blow can screw vis up for a while.

You asked about structure. You'd be diving primarily two kinds of structure: ledges and wrecks. The ledges/reefs we have here are not the tropical kind you see in the keys. You have to go a little south for that, although I have seen some impressive coral. I don't know how far offshore you would plan on going but if under 50 miles you'd be looking for little 2-3 foot breaks. This is from a spearfisherman, though. If your thing is photography, then you'll probably like the wrecks better, and there are plenty of them. Many are published numbers.

Hit the Mexican Pride wreck first in 130ft of water and you will be impressed at not only the structure, but the marine life. Last time I was on it I got to see herds of monster jewfish, American Red Snapper, mangos, cudas galore, amberjack city, gag grouper, the whole deal.

If depth of 100 - 140 don't bother you, the very best thing about living on Florida's Gulfcoast is your promixity to the fabled Florida Middle Grounds. Huge ledges, sometimes with a 30 - 50 ft break. I've got over 1000 numbers in the Florida Middle Grounds, and several spots that I take first timers because I know they will get slack jawed when they see it. Plan on a total trip of 220 miles, including the crusing around you'll do once in the Grounds. You'll be in he Grounds about 80 miles from Port coming out of Clearwater.

Oh, and the vis in the Middle Grounds...awesome! On bad days it's 30ft, but many times 100ft. Also, the water gets real blue out there, as you're well away from the inshore green water.

Does the diving get better further south? Keys? Guess it depends on your agenda. I am quite happy diving right here, and will leave the Florida Keys to all the tourists.

A good investment is a bathymetric program, BTW.

Hope this helps.

Posted this on another thread, but here it is again.

Ned DeLoach's "Diving Guide to Underwater Florida" lists these sites in the Tampa area. I highly recommend the book if you are looking to dive in Florida. Many refer to it as the Divers Bible down here.

1. Big Jack Hole
2. Gunsmoke
3. South Jack Wreck
4. South Jack Ledge
5. St. Pete Beach Reef
6. Twelve Foot Ledge
7. Ten Fathom Wreck/Tramp Steamer
8. Mexican Pride
9. Treasure Island Reef
10. Mecco's Barge/Betty Rose
11. Indian Shores Reef
12. Pinellas #1/Rube Allyn Artificial Reef
13. Mastadon Table Top
14. Blackthorn
15. Tug Sheridan
16. Tapble Top
17. The Caves
18. Clearwater Wreck
19. 'G' Marker Grounds
20. Clearwater Reef
21. Dunedin Reef
22. Cuda Rock
23. Masthead Ledge
24. Tarpon Springs Reef
25. Tugboat and Barge
26. Pasco County Reef Site 1, P & S Buoys
27. Pasco County Reef Site 2, C & O Buoys
28. Turtle Ledge
29. Meissner Crane

These are only the off shore dives in the area. There is another whole section for springs/freshwater dives.

Tampascott,

Any recommendations on a good charter to use for the middlegrounds?

I dive off Clearwater frequently, but have never been out there. I wouldn't be comfortable taking our boat out that far, but a good six-pack with a seaworthy boat could be just the ticket.

If you want to do a single day trip, try "The Fish Collector", for a multi-day trip, try "The GroundsKeeper". Are you only interested in "sightseeing" or are you interested in spearfishing?

pchelp once bubbled...
If you want to do a single day trip, try "The Fish Collector", for a multi-day trip, try "The GroundsKeeper". Are you only interested in "sightseeing" or are you interested in spearfishing?

Just sight seeing for me, but a boat full of shooters is no problem either. My usual dive buddy just got into spearfishing this year and would probably be into a spearfishing trip.

I was in Tampa last year on a business trip and decided to add a weekend to go diving.

It was incredibly disappointing: it took 1.5 hours to go out 12 miles to a ledge that was about 20" high. Visibility was about 2-3 feet. There were a few corals and massive amounts of sponges down there and it would have been a great macro photo spot if it weren't for all the sand.

My best dive in that area was when I went snorkeling with the Manatee's in Crystal River. That I can recommend!
:snorkel:ScubaRon

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom