Diving at Dana Point Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove along the breakwater on the beach side a few times. A couple dives were fair with 3' - 5' viz. The last two times I went there (November/December '04) I couldn't see my hand 2 inches in front of my mask. It isn't deep at all, maybe 10ft? I'm not sure what it's like on the outer breakwater. IMO not worth diving the beach side except to have a new experience.

Personally I wouldn't do a shore dive at this spot. I remember some guy had a boat and would dive this spot as well as some spots south including the San Clemente pier area. His handle is whalerkyle but I haven't seen him on SB in a while. Perhaps you could email or PM him and ask him about the spot...

Sean

There's reefs there, just to the south and not too far offshore. The boat traffic will be your biggest problem. There is a pipeline that may have critters on the ballast. Here are a few coordinates for what appears to be rocky reefs (from sidescan sonar and bathymetery) that may be interesting to check out:

E435955.5
N3701932.2

E436372.8
N3701366.4

E436953.9
N3701566.7

Back
Top Bottom