Diving at South Africa - Sodwana or Ukomaas - please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozlem

New
Reaction score
Hello,
Would love to hear from divers who have dived in Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana at east Coast of South Africa.

I am going to Durban area on the week of 19th February and I am an open water diver with 10 dives. I am looking to see turtles, dolphins and sharks and was wondering which location is best to stay for 3-4 days.

Any input also on location Kwamnandi lodge at Umkomaas and Coral Divers at Sodwana would really be appreciated.
Thanks a million
Ozlem

ozlem:
Hello,
Would love to hear from divers who have dived in Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana at east Coast of South Africa.

I am going to Durban area on the week of 19th February and I am an open water diver with 10 dives. I am looking to see turtles, dolphins and sharks and was wondering which location is best to stay for 3-4 days.

Any input also on location Kwamnandi lodge at Umkomaas and Coral Divers at Sodwana would really be appreciated.
Thanks a million
Ozlem
Ozlem
It depends on how much time you have available at the "Durban area" you are staying at. From central Durban; Umkamaas ,a popular launch site for Aliwal Shoal dives, is about 60 mins. drive (this of course depends on how you drive !!!!). Sodwana Bay on the other hand is more than (Durban guys help me here pleez!!!) 3 hours away??? and is probably worth staying with the dive operator (Coral Divers) overnight or however long you want. Probably not practical to drive for the day,dive and then travel back to Durban the same day (could be wrong).
Anyway there are a lot of good operators both at Umkamaas and Sodwana who would be only to willing to assist you with your dive visit and planning dives relative to your training and experience.
I'm sure other SA board members will help here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom