Diving Atlantis (Bahamas)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gallix23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone,

My family is currently looking for a possible vacation spot for a few days in the winter. My mother found a package at Atlantis in the Bahamas, but she didn't know the diving situation there.

I'm assuming that the diving is abundant and great (I mean the place is called Atlantis :cool2: ) but do any of you guys have experience there? My mother and myself are both OW certified, my father and my sister are not, but would there be a snorkeling option or something for them?

Thanks for any help!

While the name of the resort inspires thoughts of undersea beauty and the facilities display that as an aquarium exhibit, the diving opportunities are limited. You can snorkel in the lagoon if you enjoy looking at a sandy bottom with drink lids and straws as the primary lifeform. There is no easily accessible coral reef for snorkeling.

We did go diving through the resort activities desk. One of the kids did the discover diving class which did pool work at the resort in a group of about 20. The next day we all loaded up in a bus and were taken to the opposite side of the island to the Stuart Coves operation.

IMHO they were organized for cattle boat diving. The dives were in line with the limits of discover diving program but the oversight by divemasters was lacking. Basically I was my son's DM for the 2 dives that we did. I really expected more involvement by their DM. I mean, what if there had been a problem?

I did dive with them once before on a regular 2 tank dive and the experience was average. The rental gear was fine, the sites were OK, the boats were nice........like I said, average.

I would investigate other dive operators who might cater to smaller groups.

Based on the above, the other (only) options would be Bahama Divers or Paradise Dive Charters.

You could walk to Bahama Divers from Atlantis - without gear - as it's located at the base of the bridge to the island. I don't know where Paradise keeps their boat but I read somewhere they arrange transportation also.

moved to the Bahamas forum...

Didn't even know there was a Bahamas forum, sorry =)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think we may re-consider this trip then. I'd like a really awesome diving trip since my season is done up here until May. Do you guys know any other places that is good for beginner divers?

Didn't even know there was a Bahamas forum, sorry =)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think we may re-consider this trip then. I'd like a really awesome diving trip since my season is done up here until May. Do you guys know any other places that is good for beginner divers?

My wife and I just returned from 2 weeks on Grand Bahama Island. We dived with Grand Bahama Scuba

They dive a nice mix of Reefs, Wrecks, and a Shark dive at least once a week!!

The diving is awesome!! However......in winter the water temps are cooler (70's) and the seas less predictable.

GBS is very safety oriented. Small groups, nice boat, GREAT dive sites.
GBS was rated #1 in the Bahamas 2 years in a row!! They are great to dive with whether you're a beginer or a seasoned pro!!
Transportation can be arranged.

When we go, we stay at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort GBS is located on site. It's just a short walk from our room and gear is stored right by the dock.

You will not be disapointed!!

Bahama Divers was just fine.Though due to rain, we only ended up going out twice with them Much more convenient than the cattle car to Stuart Cove's, which then all get on the same boat.

Small Hope Bay Lodge is just a hop, skip and a jump away from Nassau. We have wall diving, shallow reefs, blue holes, snorkeling and lots of activities for non-divers.

Check out the website at Bahamas All Inclusive - Andros Bahamas Hotel - Bahamas Vacation

I'm biased because I'm a divemaster here but we have a great facility on site, lots of good diving and we have a ton of fun when we are not underwater!

While the name of the resort inspires thoughts of undersea beauty and the facilities display that as an aquarium exhibit, the diving opportunities are limited. You can snorkel in the lagoon if you enjoy looking at a sandy bottom with drink lids and straws as the primary lifeform. There is no easily accessible coral reef for snorkeling.

We did go diving through the resort activities desk. One of the kids did the discover diving class which did pool work at the resort in a group of about 20. The next day we all loaded up in a bus and were taken to the opposite side of the island to the Stuart Coves operation.

IMHO they were organized for cattle boat diving. The dives were in line with the limits of discover diving program but the oversight by divemasters was lacking. Basically I was my son's DM for the 2 dives that we did. I really expected more involvement by their DM. I mean, what if there had been a problem?

I did dive with them once before on a regular 2 tank dive and the experience was average. The rental gear was fine, the sites were OK, the boats were nice........like I said, average.

I would investigate other dive operators who might cater to smaller groups.

We brought our own gear and snorkeled out in the cove in the open water. Saw some really big rays.

Also dived with Stuart Cove. Had a great time. It was not crowded when I went in February during the week.

Back
Top Bottom