Diving Baja-Where to stay La Paz or San Jose Del Cabo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasassy

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to dive the Sea of cortez and want a day trip to Cabo but do not want to stay there. Anybody out there that has stayed in either place and what dive ops to reccommend? Also, how long are the boat trips to the dive sites?

scubasassy:
I want to dive the Sea of cortez and want a day trip to Cabo but do not want to stay there. Anybody out there that has stayed in either place and what dive ops to reccommend? Also, how long are the boat trips to the dive sites?

Hi, Scubasassy!

If I understand correctly, you'll be in Cabo just for a day trip? If you can avoid the "no fly after diving" bit, there are a whole ton of dive ops in Cabo San Lucas. Amigos del Mar, Cabo Acuadeportes, Manta, Andromeda Divers, Underwater Diversions, Lands' End Divers, all come to mind. Most dive sites in Cabo San Lucas are a 5-10 minute boat ride from the Marina or from Playa Medano. (10 minutes if you get a rowboat :eyebrow: ). Santa Maria & Chileno Bay diving is around 30 minutes by boat.

There's not a whole bunch of dive sites in San Jose Del Cabo.

As you proceed logical North, there's diving along the East Cape (Los Frailes, Los Barilles, Cabo Pulmo, not necessarily in that order).

As you progress further North, you get to La Paz. Lots of diving opportunities in La Paz. My understanding is that the boat rides are longer in La Paz. Club Cantamar is one of the better known dive ops in La Paz, and posts here occassionally.

We will be in Cabo next month (see the countdown counter). We stay on the tourist corridor (about 10 km logical South of San Jose Del Cabo). My wife will be doing her OW class; I'm still arranging, either with Land's End Divers or with Andromeda Divers. After she's done, we will almost certainly do a day trip up to Cabo Pulmo. We may do a (non-diving) day trip to La Paz, depending on how cranky the kids are.

Cheers!

scubasassy:
hey there maybe this will help they handle lots of dive locations around the world and they only deal with repitable people. www.globaltours.com

scubasassy:

I am sponsoring at trip to La Paz in early August. We are staying at Club Cantamar which is an all inclusive and includes a 3 tank boat dive per day with night dives available at an additional cost. www.clubcantamar.com It will be our first trip there, but we will be using their onsite dive operation.

UndrWatrDan:
I am sponsoring at trip to La Paz in early August. We are staying at Club Cantamar which is an all inclusive and includes a 3 tank boat dive per day with night dives available at an additional cost. www.clubcantamar.com It will be our first trip there, but we will be using their onsite dive operation.

I was looking at going there early august.
How long are the trips to the dive sites?
How much wave action is to be expected?
How much current is to be expected?

deco_martini:
I was looking at going there early august.
How long are the trips to the dive sites?
How much wave action is to be expected?

Deco,

To answer your questions, I emailed my contact in La Paz, here are his answers.

How long are the trips to the dive sites? Between 1hr and 1.5hrs

How much wave action is to be expected both on the trip out and at the
dive sites?
Normally there is some wind and wave action (2 feet) during early morning
until 10 or 11 a.m. after that the wind dies down completly and so the
waves.

Most of the dive sites are protected agains currents, but in the worse
case scenario about 1.5 knots, of course, if the current is strong the DM's consult with the people to see if they want to move to a different location.

Come join us, it should be a great trip!

Let's see, August in the southern Sea of Cortez. Water temp might be in the 90's, air temp might make 100, probably rain every afternoon, so I guess humidity between 90 and 100 percent. Chance of a Chubasco , high ,,,,,, but the prices are cheap and the beer is cold. Boys night out in La Paz.

adios don O

Back
Top Bottom