Diving Cenotes in Riveria Maya...need red filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was asking because I wasn't sure. Never dived their before. Didn't think I needed one, but wanted to double check. Better research now then regret later.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Try INTOVA, can be clipped to any arm or tray.

Wide Angle torch

1) Model# IFL WA
2) LED: 1 CREE – 220 lumens
3) LED lifetime: 100,000 hours
4) Anodized Aluminum housing
5) Waterproof to 400 ft / 122 meters (Important: to maintain waterproof seal, be sure to clean and remove debris from O-rings and lightly apply silicone grease before use.)
6) Uses two CR123 batteries (included)
7) 8 hour burn time
8) Compact, stylish and comfortable ergonomic design
9) Magnetic slide switch
10) Double O-ring protection
11) Perfect for diving, camping, safety and video
12) Beam Angle is 43 degrees
13) Dimensions: 5.8 inches L x 1.4 inches W
14) Weight: 7.2 oz (with batteries)
15) Color temp: 5000~6000K

Mini Torch

Specifications:
1) Model# IMINI
2) LED: 1 CREE XPG - 220 lumens
3) LED lifetime: 100,000 hours
4) Battery: two CR 123 (included)
5) Burn Time: 5 hours
6) Variable Power: Full/30%/strobe
7) Switch: Magnetic/tail
8) Material: Aluminum
9) Depth rating: 400ft/122m (Important: to maintain waterproof seal, be sure to clean and remove debris from O-rings and lightly apply silicone grease before use.)
10) Video Option: Yes
11) Beam angle: 53 degrees
12) Dimensions: 4.9 inches L x 1.4 inches W
13) Weight: 6.5 oz (with batteries)
14) Color temp: 6000~7000K

Maybe for a backup light, but those Intova's sure wouldn't make good video lights.

Only 45-53 degrees beam angle makes for pinpoint hotspot, and I know I wouldn't want to be carrying handfulls of CR123 batteries around with me if you only get 4-5 hours burn time.

Nice looking BCD pocket spare light, but sure not for video work.

I was speaking to the use of a relatively inexpensive means to take some rec video. I ditched the money pit maintenance monstrosities years ago for the smaller self-contained units. I'm using an Intova sport with the torches. Rechargeable batteries and a 125/12 charger puts it up there with a better cost efficiency than strobe or high discharge lamps and their batteries. I can hang the whole rig from a long regulator necklace around my neck and forget about it. Slipping diffusers over the torches gets rid of the hot spot effect and it will do hi-res stills and video... the whole rig is under 400 bucks (less than half the cost of just a containment case), and you have to LOOK to see the difference in quality. IF you have good lighting, you don't need red. The mini torch makes a great low power night dive light for backup. The camera also mounts on a head band when I water ski, mounts on my helmet for snow ski, and I can throw it around in the boat without tender loving care. I'm tak'in the Lexus over the BMW.

Last edited:
Anyone dove Cenote Azul or the other one in Bacalar? opinion?

So I did my first ocean dive down here with my blurfix and red filter. First dive was empty case and no leakage down to about 75'. Camera in for 2nd dive a shallower 30' reef dive. After w got back to the shop a guy was asking about the blurfix when he noticed a drop of water in between the lens and red filter. :-( Hopefully won't screw up the video. Going to replace desiccant balls and oring and hope it doesn't leak again. Cenotes tomorrow, and 2 more ocean today.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom