Diving Cenotes in Riveria Maya...need red filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolvan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anybody with experience diving here?

I have the Blurfix case with clear and red filter (first time using the Blurfix).

I'm thinking no red filter, as I expect its mostly shallower cavern diving for the Cenotes. Also going to get a few ocean dives in. Though not a dedicated diving trip, the wife and I will get a few in!

Thanks

Sean

Agreed JTemple. I dove a ceynote in Maya Riviera in April as well as OW dives and filmed with my Hero2. Even with provided Underwater lighting (mounted to rock walls) at the Ceynote it's still dark in there and video is somewhat grainy. If you can only afford to take your standard dive light and mount your gopro on it, it is better than nothing. As far as the reefs...Backscatter housing with magic red filter gives great video down to 35-40' with no external lighting. 40-70 With a little white balance in post still produces great colors. Below 70 you are still going to have some blue hue.

Shooting video or not, think of the cenotes as a night dive. You will need a light. Wide angle light, no filter for UW video dives in the cenotes. Good buoyancy control will be important as well as being comfortable diving in the night like setting.

Filter for ocean dives.

Last edited:
Cools. Well I don't actually have any lights, so will see what the dive shop has for me. :)

Unfortunately, I don't get to dive enough to justify spending the money on a nice light rig etc. Wife would hurt me. Alot. AND she's a diver too!

We are only doing 3 x 2-tank dives during this trip. 4 reef/ocean then 2 cenote. Not a dedicated dive trip, just a vacation we are sneaking some diving in. (Wife won the trip on radio station, then we added 2 extra nights)

The dive shop should give you a light to use. It's required for the cenotes. Most likely it will be a standard dive flashlight with a med or narrow beam that will not fill the full wide angle view of the GoPro. Expect the footage to look a little grainy.

For the ocean dives, you might want to consider diving Cozumel with Tank Ha. They have a large boat and do Coz dives almost daily from Playa Del Carmen.

If you haven't been there, Chitzen Itza is a great day trip.

Personally, I'd reverse your priority of diving..........4 Cenotes, and 2 reef.

If you don't have some serious lighting, I'd just leave the GoPro at home in a Cenote. Serious. Your footage will be a pinpoint spot of light and a whole lot of grainyness...........GoPro's don't do well on night dives, unless you have twin broad beamed soft lighting and even then that's only makes for only a effective 10-15 foot of range...........

Dive the Cenotes and enjoy the magic, but I'd just leave the GoPro in the car or at the hotel if you don't have but a dive light/torch.

I just went to the cenotes with my gopro - I'll have some video edited up within the week! Don't use a red filter, it will be completely useless in the cenote. In the areas where natural light comes in, you can get some cool silhouette shots. I rigged 2 soft somewhat wide angle flashlights to a friend's tray and got some results that I can live with. Doesn't look professional by any means, but I came home with some great memories saved from those dives! Stay tuned for some clips!

I'll pander to the obivous; but why would you want a red filter in the cenote's in the first place?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom