Diving concept of "visibility" in other (non-English) languages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or "näkyvyys" which isn't precisely the same but I prefer it because it's easier to say and easier to spell :)

Ha, what, you need to go for easy to write and easy to spell words?! Very encouraging for me as a foreigner here...
Hard words... as hard as getting good viz... sorry, näkyvyys around here! OK, it's not so bad :)

What can also be different is what one considers bad, ok or good viz.

Ha, what, you need to go for easy to write and easy to spell words?! Very encouraging for me as a foreigner here...
Hard words... as hard as getting good viz... sorry, näkyvyys around here! OK, it's not so bad :)

What can also be different is what one considers bad, ok or good viz.

In the places where I usually dive, good visibility means greater than 8 meters. Normally 4~5 meters.
8 meters in the Caribean or Red Sea is crap. 4~5 meters is no way !

4~5 meters is no way !

In NJ the English term we use to describe 4-5m of visibility is "unlimited"

bill_u869-3.jpg

:d

Easy...
vis....
Vis...
VIS...
VIS...
VIS...:D

Doesn't anything translate into the local language if you say it loud and often enough? Seemed to work for me in Iraq and Afghanistan. Or maybe it was the rifle... :D

In the places where I usually dive, good visibility means greater than 8 meters. Normally 4~5 meters.
About the same here. 2-3m is "not good", less than 2 is "let's grab a beer instead of doing that second dive". More than 10m is great and 15m is "wow!".

A lot of the time we see a marked increase in viz at depth. Typical viz in the surface layer during summer is 2-5 meters, but very often it clears up at depth, and 8 is not uncommon when we get below the soup layer. I've often seen a clear border between the bad and the good viz, that's kinda cool.

And when the soup layer is thick (say 10-20m), there's not much light left at the depth where viz improves. Always bring a light, even on mid-day summer dives :)

---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 08:46 AM ----------

Doesn't anything translate into the local language if you say it loud and often enough?
I've met a few of your fellow 'murricans who apparently believe that... :D

We get bad surface vis layers here too. Epecially at sea on the summer you get this white/yellow stuff suspended in the water and the surface is a thin, milky pea soup. Once you get down to about 5m the particles are hugely (maybe 80%) reduced and vis is 5-6m, i.e. normal.

I've seen more than a few beginners look pretty darn unhappy about the oppressive green mist, esp. when they get to the point where we still have lots of light but you can see neither the surface nor the bottom. They cheer up and relax visibly when the pea soup layer ends and we see decent vis, the bottom, maybe even the wreck we were seeking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom